X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

But they are useful for other things, not directly related to suspects, but related nonetheless.
    I totally agree they were some of the most informative police records I have seen and nothing short of a criminal act by their destruction

But Clutterbucks thesis does give a veryy good insight into how SB was formed and how it operated in those early days

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

You have to remember that these registers were used to collate information gathered from a variety of sources some of which may have been false,malicious or simply unproven

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    But they are useful for other things, not directly related to suspects, but related nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Edward Stow
    replied
    The Chummery was close to where Druitt's body was found.
    RJP you must have been ruminating on this matter for weeks, waiting for an opportunity to expound!

Leave a comment:

• R. J. Palmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

There are even some who give credence to Wally Dew.
    Dew was clearly incompetent--he had no idea that Charles Lechmere was dismembering women in a cat's meat shed.

I shouldn't risk send the thread off topic, but someday I'm going to have to ask Trevor Marriott (and Ed Stow, for that matter) what credible information links M. J. Druitt to the "Chummery" in Chiswick?

What evidence is there that Druitt (an Oxford man) even knew Harry Wilson (a Cambridge man)?

What evidence is there that the Chummery was a homosexual club of some sort?

I would suggest using caution in accepting something as fact, merely because it once appeared in a book.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied

Well from spending years on here and casebook I see researchers readily accepting without question material such as is contained in the registers believing it to be true.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    There are even some who give credence to Wally Dew.

Leave a comment:

• R. J. Palmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I haven't seen anyone doing that on this thread. Can you quote a single example of it?

Further, there are plenty of examples in the annals of 'true crime,' where a policeman fitted-up the wrong guy (or failed to solve a case) and it later transpired that he had either entirely ignored valuable information that had been given to him by the public on a plate, or had failed to investigate it properly, having already convinced himself that the wrong answer was the right one.

These cautionary tales clearly cut both ways!!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

Well from spending years on here and casebook I see researchers readily accepting without question material such as is contained in the registers believing it to be true.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    I haven't seen anyone doing that on this thread. Can you quote a single example of it?

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

I think we really are all well aware of that already.

Perhaps it would help if you could explain what point you're trying to make by saying that.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

You have to remember that these registers were used to collate information gathered from a variety of sources some of which may have been false,malicious or simply unproven

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    I think we really are all well aware of that already.

Perhaps it would help if you could explain what point you're trying to make by saying that.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Marriott
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    What might ‘Knocked off IRB’ have meant?

Was there a John McCarthy who was known to have been or suspected of being a member?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    What might ‘Knocked off IRB’ have meant?

Was there a John McCarthy who was known to have been or suspected of being a member?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Well done all concerned!

Noticed this one

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 9.46.38 am.png Views:	18 Size:	494.9 KB ID:	591105
    Yes, I noticed that one too when I had grape stalks on my mind a couple of weeks ago.
    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/vict...376#post590376

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Clutterbuck's thesis also refers to the criticisms of Sir Robert Anderson in Frederick Moir Bussy's book "Irish Conspiracies; recollections of John Mallon (the Great Irish Detective) and other Reminiscences", published in 1910. (An article by Paul Begg entitled "Inspector Mallon and Frederick Bussy on Sir Robert Anderson" was published in Ripperologist 122 in 2011.)

This book is available at the Internet Archive:
    https://archive.org/details/dli.granth.91625/

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied

I should warn you that Felicty Lowde may contact you telling you to remove the images stating that they are her copyright. She tried that with me and I simply ignored her.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
    Thank you. In the file in the Resources section, I've provided only links to the images on her site, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Of course if people have any genuine concerns about content on this site with regard to copyright they should contact us, and they'll be given proper attention.

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Miller
    replied
    Well done all concerned!

Noticed this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 9.46.38 am.png
Views:	98
Size:	494.9 KB
ID:	591105

Leave a comment:

Working...