Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marginalia FINALLY proved Genuine

Hello Everyone

I've been out of the flow of Ripperology working on other things and Family illness meant I was unable to attend this years conference.

However am I correct in thinking that Trevor Marriott DID NOT present his promised proof that the Marginalia was forged?

There has been no discussion here only rumours that Adams latest article finally lays to bed the accusation about the authenticity of the Marginalia put forward by Trevor Marriot and his side kick.

Can we now all get on with our Ripperology free from these silly mutterings by fringe elements of the community?

The Marginalia was written by Swanson The Truth finally arrived at?

There appears to be some rumours that Dr Davis might have examined new hand writing examples, this has not been mentioned on the forums as far as I'm aware, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that?

Yours Jeff

Off-topic, but here's a mystery concerning marginalia that may interest someone.

Some years ago, I bought a first edition copy of 'Queer People' by Sir Basil Thomson, who was head of the Metropolitan Police during World War One. The book once belonged to the Auburn University Library in Alabama, but had been removed, and was sold second-hand.

Anyway, there is microscopic marginalia throughout the book--commentaries about the text--by someone with considerable knowledge of the Boer War, the Russian Revolution, and espionage during the First World War. There are references to debates in the House of Commons, etc.

None of this would be particularly mysterious, except that a close study shows that the marginalia must have been made before the book was bound... or even before the pages were cut.

The writing clearly trails off the edge of the book, and there are times when it is obvious that there were more lines of notes, back when the margins were wider and uncut.

I'm not sure of the explanation. Sometimes when books were printed in the past, eight pages would be printed on one side of a large sheet of paper, and the paper was then folded and cut in preparation for sewing, so it's possible the notes were made at the publishing house, and for some reason, were still used to make a copy of the book.

This is the only guess I could come up with.

Anyway, I've always found it strange.

P.S. Even my explanation doesn't make sense, because there is a reference to Odette Keun's "My Adventures in Bolshevik Russia" which was printed in 1923, but Thomason's book was apparently printed in 1922. I have no idea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Basil One.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	578003 Click image for larger version  Name:	Basil Two.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	578002

Comment

Hi RJ

Without seeing more of the book, it's difficult to say.

I believe that many books were still sold unbound, so large booksellers or individuals could have books bound to their liking and budget. Or not bound, keeping the book essentially as what today we'd call a paperback.

Perhaps that was the case with this book - originally acquired without binding and with deckle edge, the marginalia were made. Later, the book was acquired by the library which then bound it and cut the edges.

Comment

Working...
      X