Donald Swanson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Swanson

Is Donald Swanson implying that both Kosminski and David Cohen are Jack The Ripper?

Did Joseph Lawende identify Aaron Kosminski as the killer of Eddows?

Did Israel Schwartz identify David Cohen as the killer of Stride?

This is the only conclusion I could come up with.

answers

Hello Andrew. Interesting questions.

No, no and no.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Komyati View Post
      Is Donald Swanson implying that both Kosminski and David Cohen are Jack The Ripper?

Did Joseph Lawende identify Aaron Kosminski as the killer of Eddows?

Did Israel Schwartz identify David Cohen as the killer of Stride?

This is the only conclusion I could come up with.
      Hello Andrew

If we go by Swanson's note to himself written in the margin of his copy of Sir Robert Anderson's The Lighter Side of My Public Life, Swanson meant one suspect and one suspect only -- "Kosminski."

It is other, more recent students of the case, such as myself, who think the identification of the Jewish suspect somehow got screwed up or else Swanson was misremembering.

Of course, part of that line of thinking comes from going along with Martin Fido's thought that Kosminski was unbalanced but not a violent man whereas another Polish Jew, David Cohen was a violent maniac and fits more what we would expect of the man who did the Ripper murders.

Best regards

Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

We don't know who was taken down for identification to the Police seaside convalescent Home, a very peculiar location to choose even if the authorities were trying to hold the suspect(s) they had under wraps. Surely they wouldn't have risked taking Cohen down there without a considerable police guard? Yet why did Swanson write it unless something of the sort did occur?

Comment

sort

Hello Curryong. I like your phrase "something of the sort."

If you read of the Wirtkofsky/Loewenheim incident, I think you'll discover the source of the seaside home incident--especially the "hatred of prostitutes" business.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
            Hello Andrew

If we go by Swanson's note to himself written in the margin of his copy of Sir Robert Anderson's The Lighter Side of My Public Life, Swanson meant one suspect and one suspect only -- "Kosminski."

It is other, more recent students of the case, such as myself, who think the identification of the Jewish suspect somehow got screwed up or else Swanson was misremembering.

Of course, part of that line of thinking comes from going along with Martin Fido's thought that Kosminski was unbalanced but not a violent man whereas another Polish Jew, David Cohen was a violent maniac and fits more what we would expect of the man who did the Ripper murders.

Best regards

Chris
            A simpler explanetionis that "Kosminski" was the man suspected and was not a violent man and consequently was not Jack the Ripper Anderson got it wrong. Which is the reason why I rejected theconfusion hypothesis back in 1988. It was not a conclusion Martin could reach because his theory was based on his belief that Anderson was correct. Of course, one would then have to wonder why Anderson would have accepted that a non violent man was Jack the Ripper, which opens the door to the possibility that he wasn't non violent at all.

Comment

Not so simple?

The biggest drawback with both Anderson and Swanson as reliable primary sources on the Polish-Jewish suspect is that they are writing (and talking) about the fictional variant of Aaron Kosminski--called just "Kosminski"--created by Macnaghten.

Sources by Macnaghten, and on his behalf, show that he knew this 'suspect' was alive and not deceased.

It is not just that the pair of chiefs simply disagreed. It is that one knew more than the other about the same suspect, and rejected him.

The 1908 interview with Anderson shows a person whose memory is in free fall, e.g. quite capable of mixing up the Seaman's Home with the Seaside Home, and 'Kosminski' with Sadler, etc.

In his 1914 memoirs Mac--without mentioning Anderson directly--really kicked living Hell out of his former, loathsome boss by denying that the case was solved by 1889, denying that there was a critical witness who saw anything significant, denying that the local Jews were anything but victimized by the murderer (in graffiti) and that, by implication, the Polish-Jewish suspect was worthless--by not bothering to mention him.

Partly this under-the-radar acrimony was due to Anderson slandering Macnaghten, albeit not by name, in his 1910 memoir; as having nerves so insipid they would embarrass a plate of jello.

How galling for the "man of action"?! No wonder this big fan of boxing took the gloves off for his 1914 memoir retort. In the same book, Mac is even more brutal on the similarly un-named Warren, but an informed reader knows exactly whom he is disparaging (as a proto-fascist!)

Comment

Working...
              X