No announcement yet.

Swanson's Marginalia: Our Perceptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Swanson says 'sent by us with difficulty' so the sending would have had to be indirect.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      But Swanson says 'sent by us with difficulty' so the sending would have had to be indirect.

Yes....? I think that's what I'm saying.

Comment

From Hell:

' EDWIN HELL . I am a policeman. I received the prisoner in charge, and took him to the station-house—the prisoner said in the shop, "I know nothing about the jacket, only a man outside sent me to pawn it"—I know nothing of him, he is a stranger to me.'

Comment

Well then Scott, what about Smith? Did he know?

Comment

Well then Scott, what about Smith? Did he know?
            If you believe the Introduction to H.L. Adam's, The Trial of George Chapman, yes Smith did know.

Comment

Letter

I thought that readers might like to see the attached letter written by Anderson to Swanson - look at the date.

Comment

Another Marginal Note

Here is another of the marginal notes in Swanson's copy of The Lighter Side of my Official Life, page 224 -

Comment

Stewart, it's difficult to make out. Is the second paragraph "I want at the same time to ask you questions of the accompanying book" or something like that?

Comment

Stewart, it's difficult to make out. Is the second paragraph "I want at the same time to ask you questions of the accompanying book" or something like that?
                    "I want at the same time to ask your acceptance of the accompanying book. I hope you are well.", maybe?

Comment

Yes, that's probably it, Gareth. Which book was this, then?

Comment

Yes, that's probably it, Gareth. Which book was this, then?
                        If it was one of Anderson's, it may have been "Redemption Truths (For Us Men)", which was published in 1905.

A web-page version of that book (and many others) may be found at the following site:

http://www.newble.co.uk/anderson/redempt/redcont1.html

Comment

Swanson must have been thrilled to get that one! Better than "Howard Brown : Collected Captions" though. Marginally better, anyway.

Comment

Swanson must have been thrilled to get that one!
                            ... on the back fly-leaf: "Judas was the suspect"

Apologies for levity. Back to an interesting thread!

Comment

Undated

In the Anderson archive that I bought a few years back was this undated Swanson letter with New Year good wishes. I wonder if it was in response to the letter above?

Comment

Quite possibly Stewart. But did Anderson send Swanson a Christmas present every year?

Comment

Working...
                                X