Could this be Abberline ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be Abberline ?

I would love to know what people think about these two photos. One is a newspaper picture and the other is a group photo of the city police with my Henry Cox at the front...I think this might be Abberline what do you think?
    Pat...
    Attached Files

It looks like it could be Abberline. The newspaper pictures were done with a process, something about turning an actual photo into something like an etching. My point is, the newspaper version might be from an actual photograph, not a sketch or drawing, therefore if we can accept that as accurate, I think the actual photograph is a match. Look at the left eyebrow.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I have always thought this chap might be Abberline. Before I was always looking for a thinner man, but then I saw the sketch and he looked quite portly. I would like to know if he would have been in the group of city police. I will try to get the complete photo up and perhaps the police researcher might be able to say...
      Pat

Comment

Here is the Photo. They all have medals on I think its 1887 jubilee awards, but might be wrong ? And the sketch was around time of Mary Kellys death.
        Pat
        Attached Files

Comment

Pat:

Thanks for the photo....

I'm wondering why Abberline would be photographed with City Police.....personally, I don't think he would....nor any other Met official.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

JUst been reading his history...I actually don't know who Henry Cox worked for I think it was Scotland Yard.

This is on Wikipedia: On 26 February 1887 Abberline transferred to A Division (Whitehall), and then moved to CO Division (Central Office) at Scotland Yard on 19 November 1887, being promoted to Inspector First-Class on 9 February 1888 and to Chief Inspector on 22 December 1890. Following the murder of Mary Ann Nichols on 31 August 1888, Abberline was seconded back to Whitechapel due to his extensive experience in the area. He was placed in charge of the various detectives investigating the Ripper murders. When this group photo would have been taken Abberline would have been 44/45 years old.

I know Henry worked along side Sagar (he's sitting next to him in group photo) and he was in the detective office. I hope someone can tell me (isn't it awful I should know) ...?
            Pat....

Pat...........

Comment

In his memoirs "I caught Crippen, Walter Dew said of Abberline "He was portly and gentle speaking"
              Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                Pat:

Thanks for the photo....

I'm wondering why Abberline would be photographed with City Police.....personally, I don't think he would....nor any other Met official.
                Agreed, How. Also, doesn't the man in question look rather too well-off for a mere police inspector? What with the top hat, bow tie and all...
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Agreed, How. Also, doesn't the man in question look rather too well-off for a mere police inspector? What with the top hat, bow tie and all...
                  -Sam Flynn-

Yes, he does, Sam....
                  To Join JTR Forums :
                  Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

There was a programme on the telly the other day - My Secret Family History or some such name - where a descendent of Abberline wanted confirmation of her connection to the great detective. I say descendant, it turned out Abberline was the lady’s several times great uncle.

It was said that when the blue plaque was put up on the house in Bournemouth where he had retired, no relatives could be traced. So they presented the lady with a replica.

Comment

Hi Pat, all....

The group photo was much discussed a few years ago on both forums as you probably remember. It is the 1887 Queen Victoria Jubilee image of some of the members of the Bishopgate Station. There would be no logical reason for Abberline, a Met detective, to be in the image.

Likewise, Cox served in the City Police and would not have been affiliated with Scotland Yard (as far as personell crossing jurisdictions as employment.)
                      Best Wishes,
                      Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        The City Police detectives were evidently a smart lot :
                        https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=26083

Comment

They seemed to have moved about a bit....Dont know how reliable Wikipedia is?

8 April 1878 Abberline was appointed Local Inspector in charge of H Division's CID.
                          26 February 1887 Abberline transferred to A Division (Whitehall)
                          Moved to CO Division (Central Office) at Scotland Yard 19 November 1887, Promoted to Inspector First-Class on 9 February 1888
                          To Chief Inspector 22 December 1890.

Chief Inspector Abberline retired from the police on 8 February 1892

Pat

Comment

Working...
                          X