Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relation of Littlechild?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relation of Littlechild?

    Genealogy isn't my strong suit so I may be off here, but does anyone know whether Inspector Littlechild had relatives hailing from Woodford, Essex? I understand that he came from Royston in Hetfordshire. I have an inquest record that I'm working with and have been wondering whether it's possible that the deceased was a relation.

    The inquest, one of Dr. Macdonald's, was for a carman named David Littlechild, who died in an accident on July 12 1888, aged 27. He was lowering ice into an ice well, the rope broke, and he sustained a skull fracture. At the time of his death he lived with his wife Elizabeth at No. 3, Providence Row, Backchurch Lane (I've also found him in the electoral register at that address).

    I believe I've found the correct entry in the 1881 census for David and Elizabeth, which places them in St. George in the East, at 28 Martha Street. David has a given age of 20 and occupation is "carman". If I've got the right person, his birthplace is given as "Essex Woodford" (Woodford Green?).

    I haven't found David Littlechild in 1871 or 1861, or found a birth record for him yet, so I don't know who his parents were but I'm still looking.

    Dave

  • #2
    Ancestry

    Hello Dave. I found his tree at Ancestry.

    It gave 4 children:

    1. David Thomas (1881) St. Georges East

    2. George (1882) St. Georges East

    3. Thomas (1884) Tower Hamlets

    4. John (1889) Tower Hamlets

    His death seems especially tragic as his wife gave girth about 6-8 months after he died, so must have just fallen pregnant.

    Located his wife yet? If not, I can post that. Her cognomen was Devaliant.

    Cheers.
    LC

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dave O View Post
      Genealogy isn't my strong suit so I may be off here, but does anyone know whether Inspector Littlechild had relatives hailing from Woodford, Essex? I understand that he came from Royston in Hetfordshire. I have an inquest record that I'm working with and have been wondering whether it's possible that the deceased was a relation.

      The inquest, one of Dr. Macdonald's, was for a carman named David Littlechild, who died in an accident on July 12 1888, aged 27. He was lowering ice into an ice well, the rope broke, and he sustained a skull fracture. At the time of his death he lived with his wife Elizabeth at No. 3, Providence Row, Backchurch Lane (I've also found him in the electoral register at that address).

      I believe I've found the correct entry in the 1881 census for David and Elizabeth, which places them in St. George in the East, at 28 Martha Street. David has a given age of 20 and occupation is "carman". If I've got the right person, his birthplace is given as "Essex Woodford" (Woodford Green?).

      I haven't found David Littlechild in 1871 or 1861, or found a birth record for him yet, so I don't know who his parents were but I'm still looking.

      Dave
      Hi Dave,
      I wonder if perhaps he birthplace of Essex for David is incorrect? There is a Thomas Littlechild living in Whitechapel in 1891 (Osborne St)and 1901 (St George's Buildings)who was born in High Beech Essex c 1827. In 1871 Thomas is living with his wife Caroline and children in Mile End. Among his children is David b c 1860. I can't make out David's birthplace but Ancestry transcribes it as Hamerton. Perhaps worth a look.

      Comment


      • #4
        Essex

        Hello Debs. I found David Littlechild, born September, 1861 in Essex. Died 12, July, 1888.

        Wife: Elizabeth Devaliant, married first quarter 1880.

        Four children as posted below.

        Cheers.
        LC

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Lynn,
          The tree you mention is obviously for the same man but I thought Dave was interested in his parents and a possible link to J G Littlechild ?
          Are his parents named in the tree you found? They weren't on the one I saw.

          I was just suggesting, due to the lack of a paper trail for a David Littlechild born in Essex at the right time (birth index or pre 1881 census), compiled family tree aside, it may be that it was David's father that was born in Essex and wondered if his parents were Thomas and Caroline who appear in Mile End with a son David of the right age in 1871?

          Comment


          • #6
            I forgot to add that Thomas and Caroline lived on Backchurch Lane when their children, including David, were baptised in 1868.

            Comment


            • #7
              mum and dad

              Hello Debs. Thanks.

              No, mum and dad were unlisted.

              Wonder if it would do to contact the tree owner?

              I also found the Inspector's tree. Apparently the owners were unaware that he was a Special Branch chap. (I left a message.)

              Cheers.
              LC

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
                Hello Debs. Thanks.

                No, mum and dad were unlisted.

                Wonder if it would do to contact the tree owner?

                I also found the Inspector's tree. Apparently the owners were unaware that he was a Special Branch chap. (I left a message.)

                Cheers.
                LC
                Thanks, Lynn.
                I suppose if they left the parents names blank it is because they don't know them? They may have also had difficulty locating a David born in Essex at the right time pre 1881 census as Dave noted.


                Anyway, David, son of Thomas and Caroline was born 1859 in Homerton Hackney, for what it's worth, and in 1851 his parents and older brother were living at Woodford Side, Essex, which I think is right next door to Woodford Green?

                Comment


                • #9
                  1861

                  Hello Debs. Thanks.

                  I was looking at the one who died in July, 1888. Mine shows he was born September, 1861. His birthplace is given as Essex.

                  Cheers.
                  LC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
                    Hello Debs. Thanks.

                    I was looking at the one who died in July, 1888. Mine shows he was born September, 1861. His birthplace is given as Essex.

                    Cheers.
                    LC
                    I don't understand what you mean, Lynn, sorry.
                    The Ancestry tree has been compiled by someone looking at Ancestry records. They perhaps looked at the 1881 census for David and saw that he gave his birthplace as Essex and so they have looked at the BMD and picked a birth entry for 1861 in Bilericay? I think I also saw a death for a David Littlechild in 1861 in Bilericay too which could mean an infant death,but impossible to know without the certificate. Do they source an actual birth certificate to confirm the Billericay birth entry?

                    They also don't seem to have located David before the 1881 census. Are you able to locate a 9-11 year old Essex born David in 1871 or before that anywhere? I couldn't and it sounds like Dave couldn't either, that is why I mentioned Thomas and Caroline's son as a possible match pre 1881 census. Maybe we are looking at different trees compiled for the same man and yours is better sourced?

                    Thomas and Caroline Littlechild were both born in Essex themselves, lived in Woodford Essex shortly before their son David's birth in 1859 (the exact same place he claimed to have been born in 1881), which was registered in Hackney. The family lived in Backchurch Lane too. These two Davids have a lot in common if they are different men.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Debs and Lynn,

                      Many thanks for your help. I didn't get much of a chance to do any work on Ancestry today, and am a bit confused, but I'm going to give it another try when I return to work tomorrow and this weekend.

                      Lynn, that's very interesting information about Elizabeth. I'll look into that last child as I would like that information for my notes--thanks! I will take a look at that family tree you're seeing and have a look at whatever records I can find. I'm rather interested in anything I can find out about people involved in the inquests I'm studying, so thank you.

                      Yes, I thought to trace David's family back a generation or two to see if there's a common link with John George. It's just on the basis that they share a surname, nothing more.

                      Debs, it would not have occurred to me that the 81 entry for David would have listed the wrong birthplace. Today I did manage to come across Thomas and Caroline in the 61 census, with an infant named David, aged 1. They're in Mile End. Thomas is a commission agent from High Beach Essex, and David's birthplace is Homerton. Just like you've found. Considering the similarities you've already mentioned, including the link to Backchurch Lane, I agree that it looks good there and will look at them further (also the Bilericay record, which I also briefly came across).

                      I suspect now that David and John George probably just shared the surname but I will see if someone swings towards Cambridgeshire.

                      Thanks again very much, both of you!

                      Dave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        married man

                        Hello Debs. Thanks.

                        Bilericay? Haven't seen that one.

                        I have his marriage listing. He married in first quarter 1880.

                        Cheers.
                        LC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          thanks

                          Hello Dave. Thanks.

                          My pleasure.

                          Cheers.
                          LC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hi Lynn and Debra,

                            Lynn, you ask about Billericay and I just realized that I have that listing from the birth index from 1861 here. There are two children named David Littlechild listed as having been born in July, August, and September that year. One's in in the sub-registrar's district of Billericay, a parish in Essex. The other's listed in Chesterton, which looks to me like it could be a number of places in England that I know nothing about. There seems to be a parish of that name in Cambridgeshire. I believe John Littlechild, father of the inspector, was from a place called Duxford in Cambridgeshire. I don't remember seeing a David Littlechild from Cambridgeshire in the census, but I'll look again.

                            Anyway Lynn and Debra, thanks again for your help and thoughts. I will look for that marriage record. I think I saw something in Bethnal Green. If I resolve anything, I'll post it.

                            Dave

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dave O View Post
                              Hi Lynn and Debra,

                              Lynn, you ask about Billericay and I just realized that I have that listing from the birth index from 1861 here. There are two children named David Littlechild listed as having been born in July, August, and September that year. One's in in the sub-registrar's district of Billericay, a parish in Essex. The other's listed in Chesterton, which looks to me like it could be a number of places in England that I know nothing about. There seems to be a parish of that name in Cambridgeshire. I believe John Littlechild, father of the inspector, was from a place called Duxford in Cambridgeshire. I don't remember seeing a David Littlechild from Cambridgeshire in the census, but I'll look again.

                              Anyway Lynn and Debra, thanks again for your help and thoughts. I will look for that marriage record. I think I saw something in Bethnal Green. If I resolve anything, I'll post it.

                              Dave
                              Hi Dave,
                              You're welcome.
                              Let us know how you get on.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X