• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Constable To Commissioner * Major Henry Smith

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ssd...39015030677150
    To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

Smith's recollections about interviewing the witness (Lawende?) make interesting reading. I believe he was privy to, if not the organizer, of the Seaside Home Identification proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Smith's recollections about interviewing the witness (Lawende?) make interesting reading. I believe he was privy to, if not the organizer, of the Seaside Home Identification proceeding.

If he organised or was otherwise privy to it, why would he then have apparently feigned ignorance of and otherwise had a go at Anderson for claiming the suspect was Jack the Ripper? He'd have known who Anderson was talking about and known that Anderson wasn't blaming the Jewish community as a whole. He need only have said he knew who Anderson was talking about and didn't agree with the evidence.

Comment

The opening of the Preface tells you all you need to know about Smith, really:

In July of last year I was talking in the Junior Carlton Club with one of the Metropolitan Police Magistrates, second to none in knowledge of his work. The talk was professional, prolonged, post-prandial, and much to our mutual edification. "Why don't you write your reminiscences?" he asked. "There is no man living with your experience."

An entertaining read, but beware of the puff and bluster.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I read this in my younger days after first being introduced to part of it by Cullen's book. The description of his go at Jack in the night of the double murder was riveting to a young and impressionable mind. Oh, the blissful, imaginative ingnorance of youth.

Don't know if all I've learned since makes things much better though .
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
            If he organised or was otherwise privy to it, why would he then have apparently feigned ignorance of and otherwise had a go at Anderson for claiming the suspect was Jack the Ripper? He'd have known who Anderson was talking about and known that Anderson wasn't blaming the Jewish community as a whole. He need only have said he knew who Anderson was talking about and didn't agree with the evidence.
            Because I don't think he believed Anderson's suspect was the Ripper. But Smith was obliged to arrange an identification proceeding anyway, knowing the outcome would amount to nothing. Essentially Smith told his readers he didn't agree with Anderson's evidence.

Comment

Working...
            X