Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid's Murder Map

Hello all,

This is a spin-off of another thread I created, Inspector Reid & Kozminski, which can be found under the 'Aaron Kozminski' forums. I thought it wise to create a thread solely for the discussion of Inspector Reid's attempt at geographic profiling. Reid retired in February of 1896 and in April a press interview with him appeared in some newspapers. The following is excerpted from the North-eastern Daily Gazette of April 15th, 1896:

I have always believed, continued Mr. Reid, that the murderer lived somewhere in the neighbourhood of Berner Street. The first of the murders was in that district, and everyone (sic) was committed within a radius of a quarter of a mile of the Princess Alice public-house, in Commercial-street. All of the women lived in that district, and so, I believe, did the murdered (sic).

I'm curious to know if all 9 women he attributed to the Ripper were indeed killed within a quarter-mile radius of the Princess Alice Pub. The nine women in question are Smith, Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, Kelly, Coles, McKenzie.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

The entire article that Tom took the excerpt from :

North Eastern Daily Gazette

April 15, 1896
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I had an interesting wee chat with a chap in cyberspace regarding Reid.

He felt the Inspector wasn't as he seemed, this article has just reminded me of that chat and I can see his point.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post

He felt the Inspector wasn't as he seemed, this article has just reminded me of that chat and I can see his point.

Monty
        Was the opinion from a professional perspective?
        In other words, are we talking about his professional image on the force, or his public image during retirement, from his press articles?

Regards, Jon S.
        "
        The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
        " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
        Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

I don't recall anyone ever saying that they felt the Ripper didn't go out with the intent to kill before.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I'm curious to know if all 9 women he attributed to the Ripper were indeed killed within a quarter-mile radius of the Princess Alice Pub. The nine women in question are Smith, Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, Kelly, Coles, McKenzie.

Give or take a couple of hundred yards or so, yes.
            Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post

Monty
              Please expound, Monty.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Its not a theory, so I urge caution and common sense here. Nor is it spectacular.

The cyberchat I have with this person (who is a very knowledgable historian and author) came onto the subject of Reid.

They questioned Reids balloonist claims and generally that they had the impression he was a blowhard.

That's made me look at that snippet below in a different light.

Monty

Comment

intent

Hello Howard.

"I don't recall anyone ever saying that they felt the Ripper didn't go out with the intent to kill before."

If by "ripper" you mean the slayer of Polly and Annie, then permit me.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Lynn:

You make the first then.
                    Inspiration for a thread....
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Monty, thanks for that. I would presume there'd be some record of Reid's balloonist feats if they're true? He was also supposedly the shortest man on the force and the oldest inspector upon retirement. Reid's balloonist feats were rather grand, if they happened, but nothing he says about the Ripper is particularly self-inflating (pardon the balloon pun). But now you've got me quite curious.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Is anybody going to tackle the map?

Comment

Everyone knows it's Windy.

Hello Howard. Thanks.

Inspiration? Is that like flatulence? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Adam's map on the other thread was just pointed out to me. Seems to show that Reid was a nutter where his theory was concerned.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Glad you said that Tom...I must admit I went to bed thinking about the North Eastern Daily Gazette article and arriving at a conclusion not too far off from yours on Reid.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

If there are records of Reids ballooning career then preliminary research has yet to find them anywhere other than one or two clippings.

Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X