• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding and Verifying Constables

I have a few Police Constables I am trying to verify or find:

Police Constable James Forbes G 260
    Police Constable Jones G 166
    Police Inspector Poule G Division

Can anyone tell me what the numbers in their Title means? I assume the G is for G division but can't figure out what the next bit means? Is that their PC number?
    JAMES KELLY
    (Friday, April 20, 1860 - Thursday, September 17,1929)

HOME OFFICE FILES: H.O. 144/10064
    BROADMOOR HOSPITAL: File 3510 KELLY, J.
    BERKSHIRE RECORD OFFICE: D/H14/D2/2/1/1167, D/H14/D2/2/1/3510

Originally posted by Ryan Miller View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the numbers in their Title means? I assume the G is for G division but can't figure out what the next bit means? Is that their PC number?
    It is, Ryan - think of them as serial numbers. Referred to as collar/epaulette numbers, they're used to identify an individual police officer.

More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collar_number
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Thanks Sam. Do you think their are records of these constables still? Ancestry.com hasn't shown me anything?
      JAMES KELLY
      (Friday, April 20, 1860 - Thursday, September 17,1929)

HOME OFFICE FILES: H.O. 144/10064
      BROADMOOR HOSPITAL: File 3510 KELLY, J.
      BERKSHIRE RECORD OFFICE: D/H14/D2/2/1/1167, D/H14/D2/2/1/3510

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Miller View Post
        Thanks Sam. Do you think their are records of these constables still? Ancestry.com hasn't shown me anything?
        The Metropolitan Police Museum would be a good place to look.

Comment

Hi Ryan,

Upon joining a division, each constable is given, as Gareth states, a collar number for visible identification. This number stays with them until they are either promoted or transferred, at which point a new recruit to the division will take it on.

All constable have a warrant number, this stays with them for life. I mention this because if you are researching policemen, the warrant number is the key. However, it is possible to trace without it...just takes a bit longer.

You didn't mention dates, but there are a few things you can get re the police from the National Archives, if you are interested just PM me and I shall reply.

Finally, I suggest you mail the Met Police Heritage Centre. They have incomplete records but will do a free search for you, and provide you with whatever info they hold.

http://www.metpolicehistory.co.uk/me...ge-centre.html

Cheers
          Monty

Comment

Working...
          X