Inspector B Everett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspector B Everett

This guy was a special duty constable during the Ripper murders while serving with the "A" division. I hadn't heard his name before.

London Middlesex Gazette
    June 29, 1907

RETIREMENT OF A POPULAR
    POLICE OFFICIAL.

By the retirement on pension of Inspector B. Everett from the Metroplitan Police Force, which took place this week, the Service loses a zealous and capable officer and the public parts with a trusted servant. The ex-Inspector, who for the past eight years had been attached to the Enfield Highway station,completed his 25 years service on Sunday night last, he having joined on June 18th, 1882. Hammersmith was the scene of Mr. Everett’s first two years work, his first transfer being to the A (Whitehall) Division. As the holder of the reserve number, this meant he was called upon to perform duty at Buckingham Palace and in the State departments at Windsor Castle, in addition to which he was frequently dispatched to the various Royal shows and other similar functions, in different parts of the country. With the “ A’s ” he took part in suppressing the dynamite outrages in 1888, and participated in the hunt for “ Jack the Ripper,” being put on special duty for that purpose. Under Sir Charles Warren’s regime he was on duty in Trafalgar Square when, on the memorable “ Bloody Sunday,” the Square was closed to labour demonstrations, the result being now a matter of history. In the year 1890 the ex-officer was promoted to the rank of sergeant and transferred to Nottingdale, where he remained until 1897. Promoted, his next move was to Edgware, where he remained two years, when, on further promotion, he came to Enfield Highway. Of an urbane and affable disposition, Mr. Everett here quickly gained the goodwill of his confreres, and also that of the public generally, and throughout, he has retained it. Consequently, all will unite in wishing that he may long live to enjoy the pension he has earned. We understand it is Mr. Everett’s intention to continue to reside in the district.

Retired constable who was in three explosions

I should have named this thread, Retirement Announcements, because rather than start a new thread for each guy, I'll place the info here.

This is only relevant parts of his press coverage in:

London Evening News
    April 17, 1906

Constable W. Waters

After twenty-five eventful years of Police service in London, Constable W. Waters has just retired from the Metropolitan Police on pension....

...After that I transferred to Leman Street, in the east-end, and two months after we were in the thick of the Jack the Ripper horrors. I do not believe all the murders attributed to that fiend were his work, but it is my opinion he was a medical man, and the authorities are satisfied that he is now dead.

Comment

Very interesting, Jerry - thanks for posting these. One wonders about Everetts´ exploits:
      "...participated in the hunt for “ Jack the Ripper,” being put on special duty for that purpose."

What special duty...?
      "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
        Very interesting, Jerry - thanks for posting these. One wonders about Everetts´ exploits:
        "...participated in the hunt for “ Jack the Ripper,” being put on special duty for that purpose."

What special duty...?
        Christer,

He was with "A" Division at the time. Just as PC Alfred Long was recruited in for the murders, maybe this guy was as well. Or possibly plain clothes duty?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it just meant he was temporarily transferred to patrol the East End for a period.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
            I'm pretty sure it just meant he was temporarily transferred to patrol the East End for a period.
            Spot on Ed

Monty

Comment

Good stuff, Jerry.....thanks for pitching in, guys.
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
              X