No announcement yet.

Samuel Cowdry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm wondering if it contained a bit of pre-arranged code.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      I'm wondering if it contained a bit of pre-arranged code.
      Yes, ‘that Mr Pears has advised me’ bit in particular.

But in the covering letter to the FO, she says Frank has worked for the Ottoman Debt lot for years. I dont get the impression they were close.

Comment

• I’ve ordered Frank and Martha Akerman Price’s marriage cert and will post it here when I receive it. Assuming Frank’s father is shown as Samuel, Clerk of Works to the Met (or similar), there will be no question that Turkish Frank and Ingleside Frank were the same man. And the evidence of the various ERs and the 1888 Kelly’s proves beyond reasonable doubt that Polly’s employers were Frank and Martha rather than Samuel and Sarah.

There’s still some more stuff to check out at the NA and I have yet to get a photo of the Kelly’s entry (Southwark Library wanted £7 for it). I’m also hoping to hear from the GRO about the blanked out area on Frank’s death cert. I will update here as and when.

I’m not sure whether any of this has any real relevance to the case, but it does appear that within a couple of years or so of Polly’s brief spell with the Cowdrys, Frank abandoned his wife of 13/15 years and took himself off to the Middle East. Did he return occasionally (or ever) before Martha died? He certainly appears in Sussex in some directories while he was supposedly in Turkey/Yemen. But that could just be a reflection of social convention at the time. Even if Frank was skulking in a fly-blown shanty town by the Red Sea, he would still have been considered the head of the household at ‘Quabrook’.

Comment

• There was an Edwin Pears, barrister, joined the Bulwer Lodge, Pera, Constantinople 1874. I think this is his obit :

The Scotsman Dec 8th 1919
          Attached Files

Comment

There was an Edwin Pears, barrister, joined the Bulwer Lodge, Pera, Constantinople 1874. I think this is his obit :

The Scotsman Dec 8th 1919
            Great find, Rob. Different lodge, but the Brits in Constantinople were probably a small and close community.

I have a confession to make. I ordered a wrong file when I went to the NA, so I havenít seen the stuff about the compensation Frank received or claimed while he was interned.

Iím planning to order the correct box plus the Fogarty stuff and some HB stuff when I get back from Dorset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Great find, Rob. Different lodge, but the Brits in Constantinople were probably a small and close community.

I have a confession to make. I ordered a wrong file when I went to the NA, so I havenít seen the stuff about the compensation Frank received or claimed while he was interned.

Iím planning to order the correct box plus the Fogarty stuff and some HB stuff when I get back from Dorset.
              Sir Edwin was apparently the best-known Englishman in Turkey. Frank would have almost certainly known him, so he may well have been the Mr Pears who Ďadvisedí Patti.

Comment

• Hereís Pearsí Forty Years...

https://archive.org/details/fortyyea...ariala/page/n8

Comment

• The search inside didn't bring up Cowdry/Cowdery, but he may be in there.

Comment

• Marriage Cert

15th August, 1877

Marriage Solemnized [in the] Baptist Chapel in the District of Wandsworth in the County of Surrey

Name: Francis Cowdry
                    Condition: Bachelor
                    Rank/Profession: Fitter
                    Residence: Railway Street, New Brompton
                    Father: Samuel Cowdry
                    Father’s Profession: Surveyor

Name: Martha Ackerman Price
                    Condition: Spinster
                    Rank/Profession: Blank
                    Residence: 1 Rose Hill Road East Hill Wandsworth
                    Father: James Price
                    Father’s Profession: Linen Draper

Married in the Baptist Chapel according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Baptists by certificate by me,

Joseph A. Chamberlain
                    Minister

In the presence of us:

Samuel Cowdry
                    Sarah Elizabeth Price
                    John Woodfin(?)

George Howick
                    Registrar

Comment

• Maybe Polly left the service of these Baptists because they gave her a bed beneath a hole in the roof.

Comment

Maybe Polly left the service of these Baptists because they gave her a bed beneath a hole in the roof.
                        ĎWater, water, everywhere...í

I once answered a quiz question about how that quote continued. I said, ĎNor any drop to drinkí.

The quizmaster said I was wrong and it should be ĎAnd not a drop to drinkí.

Comment

• Hi Gary

If the quizmaster didn't specify the poet, then you wuzz robbed :

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...r-text-of-1834

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/water-water-everywhere/

Comment

Hi Gary

If the quizmaster didn't specify the poet, then you wuzz robbed :

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...r-text-of-1834

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/water-water-everywhere/
                            The quiz took place in 1978, long before Jim’s effort was penned.

It was a company quiz held at the Great Eastern Hotel, Liverpool Street. I was in the Finance A team. We reached the final and our opponents were a team of directors. The quizmaster was himself a director and we lost by one point. ‘Robbed’ indeed!

Comment

• What was the prize?

Comment

What was the prize?
                                As runners-up we got a small OED and a photo of our team (each), I canít remember what the winners got.

Comment

Working...
                                X