Samuel Cowdry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a large OED.

The misquote was mentioned in a Daily Telegraph list of ten literary misquotes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Maybe a large OED.

The misquote was mentioned in a Daily Telegraph list of ten literary misquotes.
      I had previously tried to commit the AM to memory, so I was pretty confident that my answer was correct. I should have argued the point, I suppose, but who was I, little more than a kid working in the accounts dept., to question one of the big bosses?

Comment

• Lots of misquotes in this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL5l3k7vBsk

Comment

• So, to get back to Frank...

It seems that Turkish Frank was indeed Pollyís employer. We may never know what lured, or drove, him to the Ottoman Empire, though.

Was there an English language newspaper in Constantinople at the time, I wonder?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	A02DB87B-0C9F-4EE1-9603-BAEEDD4EEA8B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	560238

Comment

• There may be references to Frank in some of these:

http://www.levantineheritage.com/newsp2.htm

Comment

• Remember, Polly wrote that her employers were T-total, non-drinkers. They must have been part of the temperance crowd. I would suppose the Ottoman Empire would have been dry since it was Muslim....?
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                  Remember, Polly wrote that her employers were T-total, non-drinkers. They must have been part of the temperance crowd. I would suppose the Ottoman Empire would have been dry since it was Muslim....?
                  The Ottomans seem to have had a fairly relaxed attitude to the consumption of alcohol.

The Cowdrys may well have been TT, but it occurred to me recently that Polly might have made that up to convince her father that she had turned a corner and was living somewhere where she was removed from the temptation of the demon drink.

Comment

• Wine Drinking in Ottoman Turkey

http://www.turkish-cuisine.org/drink...2/wine-97.html

Comment

• Hi Gary,

In February 1887 the Metropolitan Board of Works voted to re-number Rosehill Road.

Starting at the Eastern End of the road, odd-numbers were assigned to houses on the southern side, commencing with 1 and ending with 31.

Starting at the Eastern End, even numbers were assigned to houses on the north side, commencing with 2 and ending with 46.

Hope it helps.

Simon

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                        Hi Gary,

In February 1887 the Metropolitan Board of Works voted to re-number Rosehill Road.

Starting at the Eastern End of the road, odd-numbers were assigned to houses on the southern side, commencing with 1 and ending with 31.

Starting at the Eastern End, even numbers were assigned to houses on the north side, commencing with 2 and ending with 46.

Hope it helps.

Simon
                        Thanks, Simon. I wonder if that might explain why Samuel Cowdry’s address went from 26 RHR to 16? The numbering scheme remains the same today.

I’ll have to go back and look at the ERs again.

Comment

• Hi Gary,

Here's the document itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	METROPOLITAN BOARD OF WORKS ROSEHILL ROAD 1887.JPG
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	561015

Simon

Comment

Hi Gary,

Here's the document itself.

[ATTACH]21049[/ATTACH]

Simon
                            Thanks, Simon.

Is the plan available?

Comment

• Hi Gary,

The best I can offer you is this 1895 map of Rosehill Road.

The dotted line indicates a block of 12 modern-day flats. They follow the street numbering sequence between 20 and 30 which may have suffered bomb damage during WW2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ROSEHILL ROAD 1895.JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	561017

Note the difference in size between numbers 16 and 26.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Gary,

The best I can offer you is this 1895 map of Rosehill Road.

The dotted line indicates a block of 12 modern-day flats. They follow the street numbering sequence between 20 and 30 which may have suffered bomb damage during WW2.

[ATTACH]21052[/ATTACH]

Note the difference in size between numbers 16 and 26.

Regards,

Simon
                                Thanks, Simon.

Ingleside was no. 18, to the left (W) of no. 16. Thatís where I believe Francis and Martha lived. Samuel and Sarah were at 16.

Comment

Working...
                                X