Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Is there?

That’s quite possibly ‘Ingleside’, then. Not 16, which appears in Drew’s book.

Thanks, Debs!

18(l) and 16(r) Rosehill Road:

[ATTACH]20014[/ATTACH]
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cowdery 1890.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	560149

One of the Cowdrys also had property for sale at Addicombe in the 80's. A six roomed villa.

Comment

It was Francis and his family who were 'out of town' in 1891 then?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        [ATTACH]20015[/ATTACH]

One of the Cowdrys also had property for sale at Addicombe in the 80's. A six roomed villa.
        Iím sure I found Sam Cowdry at 26 in 1890. Iíll have another look.

I did see the house for sale.

As RJ says, itís frustrating that we donít have a number for Ingleside, but unless we see something concrete to suggest otherwise my guess would be that Ingleside was 18 and Polly lived there with Francis and Martha.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
          It was Francis and his family who were 'out of town' in 1891 then?
          Presumably so. I had thought the note referrred to Samuel and co.

Comment

What does anyone think of the Martha A. Cowdry living down in Hove in 1891? Right name, right age. Someone transcribed her birthplace as Lincolnshire, which would be wrong, but it looks more like "Lincoln's Inn, W2" to me. She's a sister-in-law in the home of a Baptist minister, but Francis is nowhere in sight.
            Attached Files

Comment

Martha Akerman Price was born in Holborn in 1846, which would be right for Lincoln's Inn. That make two census returns where she is not with hubby. (I always suspect the worst!)

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
                What does anyone think of the Martha A. Cowdry living down in Hove in 1891? Right name, right age. Someone transcribed her birthplace as Lincolnshire, which would be wrong, but it looks more like "Lincoln's Inn, W2" to me. She's a sister-in-law in the home of a Baptist minister, but Francis is nowhere in sight.
                Yes, I think thatís her, RJ.

Where was Frank in 1891?

Comment

Where was Frank in 1891?
                  That's a good question. And where was he in 1911 when Martha was alone in a hotel in the West End?

I don't want Dave to smack me, but those with a fancy for conspiracy theories might note that in 1891 there is an "F. C." listed as an inmate in the Sussex County Lunatic Asylum. Someone penciled in his age as "36" which would fit nicely with Francis Cowdry's birth year of 1855. Now, Iím not suggestingÖ

ÖbutÖ

the asylum was 14 miles north of Hove, where his wife Martha was then staying with relatives, and 14 miles south of Cowdry's eventual home in Colman's Hatch. [As opposed to Colney Hatch!]

Supposedly the inmate was known as the "Sussex Vampire,Ē for insisting that all friends and relatives drink copious amounts of Clarke's Great Blood Purifier before bedtime.

Okay, I made up that last bit, and I'll retract the theory when/if I locate him, which so far I am utterly failing to do.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Which one did you mean?

Interesting observation there...I assuming we're talking Haywards Heath, St Francis rather than the "Funny Farm" on the same site, which they didn't generally let you out of...

There's also St Georges Retreat on the Burgess Hill Road, which may've catered for the better end of the market

They're all technically in Wivelsfield for census purposes in 1911...

Dave

Comment

Great stuff, RJ!

I believe Iíve found Martha in 1871, lodging in Lorrimore Sq in Southwark. Her occupation was given as Ďdividendsí. Was the marriage a love match, I wonder?

Comment

That 1931 East Grinstead death looks more and more interesting. I think Iíll send for the cert.

Comment

Great stuff, RJ!

I believe I’ve found Martha in 1871, lodging in Lorrimore Sq in Southwark. Her occupation was given as ‘dividends’. Was the marriage a love match, I wonder?
                          This might give Martha a connection to the South London poor that Sarah Manchee, hailing from the East End, lacked.

The death cert is on order.

Comment

I confess that I'd like to locate Francis and Martha in 1901 to see if they are living apart for three consecutive census returns... They aren't on Rose Hill Road, Wandsworth. No. 18 is now occupied by a Sydney Ernest Stanesby/Stanisby, an electrician with a wife and kids.

Comment

Thanks for ordering that cert., Gary. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out. I certainly think you're onto something about this being the true employer of Polly Nichols.

Regarding Martha A. Cowdry in Hove in 1891, I can't quite make out how she can be the 'sister-in-law' of this Baptist minister. Maybe it could somehow work, but Frederick George Marchant appears to have married Hannah H. Flight in Islington, 3rd quarter, 1866. They are still together in 1871 and 1881.

Seven years after the 1891 census, the poor old boy ends up in the lunatic asylum, admitted 14 June 1898 in East Sussex. How Martha fits in with this household is anyone's guess.

Comment

I think I now see how it goes. The Baptist minister's wife was born Hannah Henderson Price in St. Giles in 1838. Her first husband [Flight] must have died young.

So this was Martha Akerman Price's older sister by 6 years. [later Martha A. Cowdry]. The family is in Islington in 1851, at No. 7 Brunswick Place. Their parents are James and Grace Price; he's a retired linen draper. So by 1891 she's living with her brother-in-law in Hove, which still begs the question, where is Francis?

Comment

Working...
                                X