X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    Thanks, Jerry. He also visited Alice Carroll in her home in Dublin at that time (1884), he'd got in her house without permission and was supposedly gathering information on manufactured witness trial evidence given in the Dublin Courts as far as I recall. He was hired by an Irish newspaper at that time I seem to remember.

I need to get that book!
    I believe it was William O'Brien's paper, United Ireland.

Thanks for the Alice Carroll info, I really need to read up more on her involvement in all this stuff. It's a coincidence, too, that both LeGrande and Meiklejohn were both trying to get under the wing of the solicitor, George Lewis. Meiklejohn succeeded where LeGrande did not. William O'Brien was a client of George Lewis.

Glenn's book is beyond excellent. I highly recommend it. He brings a lot of names into the Cleveland Street Scandal that have never before been mentioned as well as the backround of the Dublin Castle Scandal and the lives of Jack Saul and Charles Hammond.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
    Debs,

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....lor#post289061

Post #37. I think the size of the post will spark your memory. haha
    That's the one! He sold his stories directly to the Evening News himself. Hence them publishing the grape in the drain story.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Debs,

An interesting note is that Meiklejohn was hired by the Dublin Soliciter firm of Chance and Miley to round up young men involved in the Dublin Castle Scandal to give evidence against Cornwall and French as sodomites? He was in London with 15 subpoenas to serve after the young men had fled from Dublin to London to avoid prosecution. He was by this time (1884) working as a private inquiry agent. (The Sins of Jack Saul, Glenn Chandler)
    Thanks, Jerry. He also visited Alice Carroll in her home in Dublin at that time (1884), he'd got in her house without permission and was supposedly gathering information on manufactured witness trial evidence given in the Dublin Courts as far as I recall. He was hired by an Irish newspaper at that time I seem to remember.

I need to get that book!

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Debs,

An interesting note is that Meiklejohn was hired by the Dublin Soliciter firm of Chance and Miley to round up young men involved in the Dublin Castle Scandal to give evidence against Cornwall and French as sodomites? He was in London with 15 subpoenas to serve after the young men had fled from Dublin to London to avoid prosecution. He was by this time (1884) working as a private inquiry agent. (The Sins of Jack Saul, Glenn Chandler)

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
    Jerry, didn't you post a newspaper clipping that said Grande and Batchelor were linked with an Evening newspaper too? Not the stuff we already knew but another more detailed article that said he was being paid by the newspaper? Or did I imagine it?

Meiklejohn's advert says he is "instructed in the Matter of the Whitechapel Mystery"...instructed by who I wonder? He is also looking to reward anyone who can provide him with information of a satisfactory nature.
    The government had offered a reward by then and a pardon to any accomplice so I wonder what Meikljohn was up to?
    Debs,

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....lor#post289061

Post #37. I think the size of the post will spark your memory. haha

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    I forgot about Meiklejohn too. Thanks, Debs.

Trustworthy isn't a word to describe Meiklejohn, either. You have the various Vigilante Committees, but the main one hired Grand and Batchelor to help them out.
    Jerry, didn't you post a newspaper clipping that said Grande and Batchelor were linked with an Evening newspaper too? Not the stuff we already knew but another more detailed article that said he was being paid by the newspaper? Or did I imagine it?

Meiklejohn's advert says he is "instructed in the Matter of the Whitechapel Mystery"...instructed by who I wonder? He is also looking to reward anyone who can provide him with information of a satisfactory nature.
    The government had offered a reward by then and a pardon to any accomplice so I wonder what Meikljohn was up to?

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Originally posted by Hallie McGrath View Post
    Thanks. I've sort of discounted Le Grand and Batchelor, as they've proven themselves to be rather untrustworthy. Thanks for the other suggestion. Do keep them coming if you can think of any others.
    I forgot about Meiklejohn too. Thanks, Debs.

Trustworthy isn't a word to describe Meiklejohn, either. You have the various Vigilante Committees, but the main one hired Grand and Batchelor to help them out.

Leave a comment:

• Hallie McGrath
    replied
    Thanks. I've sort of discounted Le Grand and Batchelor, as they've proven themselves to be rather untrustworthy. Thanks for the other suggestion. Do keep them coming if you can think of any others.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Debs:

I would have forgotten to mention Meiklejohn....good one !

Although I have yet to locate anything yet, I've kept an eye out for Slater's ( in London) Agency.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Meiklejohn comes to mind. He placed an advert in the November 1888 newspapers asking for information about the latest 'Whitechapel Mystery.' Then there's Grande.

Leave a comment:

• Private Investigators who attempted to solve the crimes

I've seen mention that in addition to police investigations, there were also a number of private investigators who had been hired by various parties to try to find the Ripper and look into the crimes more closely. Does anyone know who these people might have been? Are names cited anywhere?
Working...
X