No announcement yet.

Discussion Thread For Charles Warren's Nov. 1888 Article In Murray's Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Thread For Charles Warren's Nov. 1888 Article In Murray's Magazine

Thread open.

The thread with the lengthy article :

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....828#post273828
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

In my own opinion, Warren comes across in his article as a desperate character, verging on bitter and twisted.

Comment

I have to admit that I was surprised that no one had put the article out before...that is before it appeared in the latest issue of the Rip.

Why ? Well, I think that it is, in its own way, one of those game changing moments in an ongoing saga.

Could the police, under Warren , have apprehended the Ripper ? Had Warren been a little more diplomatic with his adversaries ( Matthews for an example), would he have served out his tenure with success regarding the capture of the Ripper ?
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

The struggle for petty power positions was obvious, and maybe a little diplomacy would have helped. Compromising principle for the sake of diplomacy isn't always the best stand to take, and sometimes you have to stick to your guns, win or lose. London must have been a horrible place for the honest cop, and their struggle to uphold justice must have been very frustrating. The model was good, and I think today's law enforcement should be thankful to those pioneers who right or wrong fought to build a strong police force to protect citizens often times against themselves. Drilling may have helped keep discipline, but it didn't help get around Victoria era science and attitudes.

Do I think anything they did would have made a difference in catching Jack the Ripper? No. They simply didn't have the skills or technology available to do it. They were a product of their times, and looking for the wrong guy, in my opinion. It doesn't make them ineffective, it simply makes them men of their times. Their failure to catch the White Chapel murderer fueled public and political views, but the deck was stacked against them from the start. They weren't bungling idiots, and that they got as far as they did is amazing with the tools they had. When you think that so many people believed that the eye took a still photo of the last thing a dead person saw, then today we should be able to understand they just didn't have the tools.

Beliefs and views were more rigid in the Victorian era. Does anybody besides me have a Victorian great grandfather to remember? I was blessed with knowing two of my great grandfathers who were born in the 1870s. They were strong men of strong opinion, and they had definite ideas as to right and wrong. I could be wrong but they didn't seem to bend easy nor compromise in their beliefs. They were a product of their times.

Comment

Working...
        X