Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenian

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
    Hi SPE, I wasnít meaning to be crass. However of the leading known suspects, as far as Iím aware, Tumblety is the only one, known to be in the area at the time, who people have suggested may have had Fenian connections (not that Iím familiar with the source of those suggestions but I have heard them made).
    Macnaughten does refer to Druitt incorrectly as a Doctor.
    I was therefore speculating the possibility of Macnaughten having knowledge of Tumbelty that we have no source for.
    I was wondering if that had been a train of thought or consideration? Not trying to say that was what you were or had, said.
    Pirate
    I have seen nothing to prove that he was actually a Fenian but as a Catholic Irish-American his sympathies might be expected to lie in that direction. His prose in his books is certainly pro-Irish Nationalist and there are indicators of that in this press cutting from the New York Daily Tribune -

Then, of course, we have Littlechild's interest in him, which, one would assume, would be because of his possible Irish rebel connections and with Littlechild's status as head of the Special Branch one would assume that the 'large dossier' on him at Scotland Yard was probably a Special Branch file. But extrapolating on that to suggest that he might be 'Macnaghten's Doctor' is sheer speculation and something that I do not like engaging in.

Comment

• Cheers for that SPE. I’d be most surprised if Tumbelty did not have some sympathy with the Fenian cause. Almost every person of Irish decent would have been familiar with stories of Oliver Cromwell and the Potatoes famine. It is embedded on the Irish psyche, and Irishman love to talk, and these stories are passed mother to son.

I admit I have always found the reasons for Tumbelty being in Whitechappel at the time somewhat curious. I can’t believe that homosexual practice was his only purpose if that was what he was charged with? And I’ve never bought the Ripper crimes as organ collection.

However my guess would be his ‘quack’ doctor practices.

All best

Pirate

Comment

Working...
      X