• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson's 1904 Lecture At The London Institution

Southern Echo
    November 5, 1904
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I thought that was interesting because it said the suspect wasn't a suspect until he had been sent to an asylum "in the ordinary course of things", which seems quite contrary to what Swanson wrote about the Seaside Home identification. Though not contrary to what Anderson wrote in the magazine version of his autobiography, as opposed to the book version.
    https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...rsidetext.html

I did come across this a while ago and posted it here (somewhere). Then John Malcolm kindly sent me a copy of his book and I saw he had already published it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
      I thought that was interesting because it said the suspect wasn't a suspect until he had been sent to an asylum "in the ordinary course of things", which seems quite contrary to what Swanson wrote about the Seaside Home identification. Though not contrary to what Anderson wrote in the magazine version of his autobiography, as opposed to the book version.
      https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...rsidetext.html

I did come across this a while ago and posted it here (somewhere). Then John Malcolm kindly sent me a copy of his book and I saw he had already published it there.
      The other issue is with regards to the Blackwoods entry suggests that the killer may not have been identified until he had been incarcerated in an asylum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him; but when he learned that the suspect was a fellow-Jew he declined to swear to him.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

The other issue is with regards to the Blackwoods entry suggests that the killer may not have been identified until he had been incarcerated in an asylum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Isn't that what I just pointed out??????????

Comment

So, maybe it's playing devil's advocate, but there is a potential answer that would make Anderson's & Swanson's apparently contradictory statements all potentially true: suspect, who was sent to an asylum "in the ordinary course of things" ("private" asylum maybe - somewhere you could be placed temporarily without being certified insane), was "discovered" in said institution, released at some point (again never being certified insane), then sent "with difficulty" to be identified, and subsequently (and finally) committed; add the rumours of a private asylum and Macnaghten's "about March '89" and one could see a timeline that might explain a lot - like the gap in between the murder of Mary Kelly and Aaron Kozminski's committal. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
            So, maybe it's playing devil's advocate, but there is a potential answer that would make Anderson's & Swanson's apparently contradictory statements all potentially true: suspect, who was sent to an asylum "in the ordinary course of things" ("private" asylum maybe - somewhere you could be placed temporarily without being certified insane), was "discovered" in said institution, released at some point (again never being certified insane), then sent "with difficulty" to be identified, and subsequently (and finally) committed; add the rumours of a private asylum and Macnaghten's "about March '89" and one could see a timeline that might explain a lot - like the gap in between the murder of Mary Kelly and Aaron Kozminski's committal. Just a thought...
            Hi John
            I think you are clutching at straws

I stand to be corrcted but were private asylums for those families who had money, or for individuals who had money to pay. I seem to recall that it was suggested that Druitt may have spent some time in one.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Sir Robert Anderson was big on wanking.

At a 1910 Purity Rally, he regaled his audience with "a harrowing story of an Eton boy, son of a colonel in the army, a brilliant lad, always ahead of his class . . . who had been reduced to a drivelling imbecile as the result of secret sin, induced by the sight of an obscene photograph exhibited by a scoundrel whom he met in a railway train. I had the satisfaction of hunting the villain down and of procuring him a long sentence of penal servitude."

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                Sir Robert Anderson was big on wanking.

At a 1910 Purity Rally, he regaled his audience with "a harrowing story of an Eton boy, son of a colonel in the army, a brilliant lad, always ahead of his class . . . who had been reduced to a drivelling imbecile as the result of secret sin, induced by the sight of an obscene photograph exhibited by a scoundrel whom he met in a railway train. I had the satisfaction of hunting the villain down and of procuring him a long sentence of penal servitude."
                Thank you for that, Simon. I don't recall where I might have seen this before. Makes me think twice about the definition of "villain".

Comment

Working...
                X