No announcement yet.

Mitre Square Policeman : Help Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully two of those London Jobber guys (N.B. and R.C.) can use the previous information.
    Also if needed, let me know and I'll try to find more on this Witteridge woman.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

How,

Harveys mussus was called Clara.

Let me work on the info.

Monty

Comment

Mountbatten:

You probably have that in your article on Harvey, but my memory is getting terrible. Thanks for mentioning that. I hope that the articles can be of use to you and Rob.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Extremely interesting How,

Many thanks for them.

No joy as to the Landlady. Im pondering the possibility of No3.

Monty

Comment

How, Monty, I might be being extra thick but I don't understand the significance of Emma Harvey. The dynamiters lodged at many different addresses, but the address in Mitre Square was #5 and according to some newspaper reports the PC who lived there was named Wilson.

Comment

I think the name of the landlady at 5 Mitre Square is Mary Willerage (1881 Census). I've got quite a bit of news clippings on the Dynamitards. The City Police Constable who was staying there was Robert Wilson and his wife was Emma Caroline.
              If I remember correctly Sergeant Stephen White searched the room at 5 Mitre Square.
              The only problem I've come across is where exactly in Mitre Square number 5 was. There is only two possibilities as I see it, and that it was next door to number 3 the empty house next to Harvey's in 1888 but this doesn't seem right.

Rob

Comment

Debra:

Emma Harvey's surname stood out,since there was a Harvey on the City force. At the time,I hadn't seen the name Willerage( courtesy of RC) mentioned as Witteridge in the Boston article...and thought there may have been some connection not knowing much about the 1885 dynamite case.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hey Debs,

Twas How who bought Emma Harvey into question as she is mentioned in one of the reports below. How was querying if Emma was PC Harveys Mussus, however it wasnt. her name is Clara.

Rob,

Thats exactly what Im thinking. It would have been 2 years at the most since the property was last used.

This is 1 Mitre square all over again Rob.

Monty

Comment

How, Monty, thanks for the explanation, I get it now. I was confused cos How mentioned Emma Harvey was a landlady at Bow.

Comment

Hi Neil,

Yeah, I've been racking my brains on this one. We know Kearley & Tonge moved into the Square in 1883 at 1 and 2. So I am thinking now, that 1 and 2 were the same building, the one on the Church Passage side (two entances I think, so two numbers). Numbers 3 to 7 Mitre Square would go from Pearce's house to St James Place which would work out exactly as it would on the census returns.
                      Sometime after January 1885 and before January 1887, numbers 5, 6 and 7 were demolished to make way for the other Kearley & Tonge Warehouse. I think that would fit.

Rob

Comment

Just double checked the 1881 Census. The landlady of number 5 is Mary Whillerage aged 66 married to Daniel Whillerage aged 64 an accountant. There was a 33 year old daughter Eliza living with them.

Rob

Comment

Sounds fiesable to me Rob, great work.

It also answers our number 1 query also.

Now, gotta ask this, City police houses in Mitre Square? what you reckon?

Monty

Comment

Hard to tell. I don't think so, but I couldn't rule it out. A tough one and as I texted you there was a City Police Sergeant at 40/41 Mitre Street in 81. I wonder how much of the City of London was living space and not office space. Might not be much.

Rob

Comment

Just as a matter of thought..

Has anyone considered that the PC witness in Mitre Street, who might have seen a man, might have been Morris?

He was after all at one time a PC

Yours Jeff

City PC near Mitre Square (2 October 1888, The Daily Telegraph):

"In addition to these a man was, later in the day (1 October), brought to the Leman-street Police-station by a constable who found him prowling about not far from Mitre-street. His face was haggard, and he seemed unable to give any account of himself. Upon him were found 1s 4½d in money and a razor, and round his throat was a woollen scarf of a violet colour, upon which were several long hairs, supposed to be those of a woman. At the station he said, in reply to the inspector, that he had walked from Southampton, and belonged to the Royal Sussex Regiment. An examination of his boots was not confirmatory of his statement about his travels, and he was detained that inquiries might be made. No blood was found upon his clothes, nor any weapon likely to have inflicted the wounds. No importance is attached to this arrest, and the man has since been liberated. The only curious thing about this incident is that the mark of the Royal Sussex Regiment, to which he said he belonged, was upon the torn envelope found on the body of the Hanbury-street victim, Annie Chapman.”

Sims about the City PC:

"One man only, a policeman, saw him leaving the place in which he had just accomplished a fiendish deed, but failed, owing to the darkness, to get a good view of him. A little later the policeman stumbled over the lifeless body of the victim."

“The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack the Ripper in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder.”

Comment

Daniel Whillerage (actually Whitteridge) was a police constable in 1851, living at 6 Mitre St. A couple more constables lived next door.

Comment

Working...
                                X