• Phil Carter
    Author

• Phil Carter
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO View Post
    Nice find Howard

A connection between the Dynamiters and Mitre Square

It sounds like Pearce as I don't think Morris lived in the square
    As far as I am aware, George Morris lived, at that time, at 48 Pantile Close, New Hampton (which changed its name to Hampton Hill in 1890).
    To get from there to Mitre Square, he would have 15/20 minute walk to Fulwell Station. From there, a 45 minute train ride into Waterloo Station. From there, he would have to make his way over to Liverpool Street station, and for there a short walk to Mitre Square.

So at best a 90 minute traveling time to get to work. And that is conservative. Therefore it is likely he stayed around instead of traveling back and forth.

I used to live 5mins from Fulwell Station, in Fulwell Road, Teddington. I have walked to Hampton Hill hundreds of times. I have taken the train into Waterloo on many occasions as well.

That's one heck of a journey to get to work in Mitre Square every day! In 1888.

Unless of course he didn't live in Hampton Hill at that exact time? Perhaps someone here knows with certainty?

Oh. And George Morris was born in Teddington too. 1834 I believe? Makes him approx 54 years old in 1888.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    Researcher Extraordinaire

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Daniel Whillerage (actually Whitteridge) was a police constable in 1851, living at 6 Mitre St. A couple more constables lived next door.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Leahy
    TV Producer/Director

• Jeff Leahy
    replied
    Just as a matter of thought..

Has anyone considered that the PC witness in Mitre Street, who might have seen a man, might have been Morris?

He was after all at one time a PC

Yours Jeff

City PC near Mitre Square (2 October 1888, The Daily Telegraph):

"In addition to these a man was, later in the day (1 October), brought to the Leman-street Police-station by a constable who found him prowling about not far from Mitre-street. His face was haggard, and he seemed unable to give any account of himself. Upon him were found 1s 4½d in money and a razor, and round his throat was a woollen scarf of a violet colour, upon which were several long hairs, supposed to be those of a woman. At the station he said, in reply to the inspector, that he had walked from Southampton, and belonged to the Royal Sussex Regiment. An examination of his boots was not confirmatory of his statement about his travels, and he was detained that inquiries might be made. No blood was found upon his clothes, nor any weapon likely to have inflicted the wounds. No importance is attached to this arrest, and the man has since been liberated. The only curious thing about this incident is that the mark of the Royal Sussex Regiment, to which he said he belonged, was upon the torn envelope found on the body of the Hanbury-street victim, Annie Chapman.”

Sims about the City PC:

"One man only, a policeman, saw him leaving the place in which he had just accomplished a fiendish deed, but failed, owing to the darkness, to get a good view of him. A little later the policeman stumbled over the lifeless body of the victim."

“The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack the Ripper in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder.”

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    Author/Researcher

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Hard to tell. I don't think so, but I couldn't rule it out. A tough one and as I texted you there was a City Police Sergeant at 40/41 Mitre Street in 81. I wonder how much of the City of London was living space and not office space. Might not be much.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    Author & Researcher

• Monty
    replied
    Sounds fiesable to me Rob, great work.

It also answers our number 1 query also.

Now, gotta ask this, City police houses in Mitre Square? what you reckon?

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    Author/Researcher

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Just double checked the 1881 Census. The landlady of number 5 is Mary Whillerage aged 66 married to Daniel Whillerage aged 64 an accountant. There was a 33 year old daughter Eliza living with them.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    Author/Researcher

• Rob Clack
    replied
    Hi Neil,

Yeah, I've been racking my brains on this one. We know Kearley & Tonge moved into the Square in 1883 at 1 and 2. So I am thinking now, that 1 and 2 were the same building, the one on the Church Passage side (two entances I think, so two numbers). Numbers 3 to 7 Mitre Square would go from Pearce's house to St James Place which would work out exactly as it would on the census returns.
    Sometime after January 1885 and before January 1887, numbers 5, 6 and 7 were demolished to make way for the other Kearley & Tonge Warehouse. I think that would fit.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif

• Debra Arif
    replied
    How, Monty, thanks for the explanation, I get it now. I was confused cos How mentioned Emma Harvey was a landlady at Bow.

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    Author & Researcher

• Monty
    replied
    Hey Debs,

Twas How who bought Emma Harvey into question as she is mentioned in one of the reports below. How was querying if Emma was PC Harveys Mussus, however it wasnt. her name is Clara.

Rob,

Thats exactly what Im thinking. It would have been 2 years at the most since the property was last used.

This is 1 Mitre square all over again Rob.

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    Registrar

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Debra:

Emma Harvey's surname stood out,since there was a Harvey on the City force. At the time,I hadn't seen the name Willerage( courtesy of RC) mentioned as Witteridge in the Boston article...and thought there may have been some connection not knowing much about the 1885 dynamite case.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Clack
    Author/Researcher

• Rob Clack
    replied
    I think the name of the landlady at 5 Mitre Square is Mary Willerage (1881 Census). I've got quite a bit of news clippings on the Dynamitards. The City Police Constable who was staying there was Robert Wilson and his wife was Emma Caroline.
    If I remember correctly Sergeant Stephen White searched the room at 5 Mitre Square.
    The only problem I've come across is where exactly in Mitre Square number 5 was. There is only two possibilities as I see it, and that it was next door to number 3 the empty house next to Harvey's in 1888 but this doesn't seem right.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif

• Debra Arif
    replied
    How, Monty, I might be being extra thick but I don't understand the significance of Emma Harvey. The dynamiters lodged at many different addresses, but the address in Mitre Square was #5 and according to some newspaper reports the PC who lived there was named Wilson.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X