Mitre Square Policeman : Help Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Square Policeman : Help Wanted

Does anyone know whether this story refers to George Morris or perhaps, the gentleman named Pearce who lived in Mitre Square ?

Thank you.

South Carolina State
    April 1, 1908
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Nice find Howard

A connection between the Dynamiters and Mitre Square

It sounds like Pearce as I don't think Morris lived in the square

Is the square and surrounding lodgings a type of policeman's estate? In Ulster the police were housed together in designated areas for obvious reasons

It's not an April Fool joke is it? - lol

Comment

Neems:

No joke buddy...not in the least.
      I could, if people would like me to, put up more on the 1885 story tomorrow. Just say so.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Good find! PC Richard Pearce 922, a City policeman, was the only actual resident of Mitre Square outside of the nightwatchmen and what not of the warehouse buildings. There was an empty, run-down house next door to his.

George Morris had been a policeman in the past but was out of the force by 1888, hence he was the Kearley & Tonge nightwatchman. (Does anybody know exactly when and why he left the force?)

So I'd say it probably could be PC Pearce.....unless, of course, another police officer moved in or out of there between 1884 and 1888.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

The event transpired in 1885...Cunningham and Burton and the dynamite...and I promise to put up any and all articles tomorrow Adam & all.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

The City of London force had a policy where if a PC was married, and had a set amount of children, the were permitted to rent a place which was owned by the force itself. It was one of the perks of the job.

It seems to that the house in Mitre Square was one of these properties.

I shall look through our Pearce article and try and see when he moved there. He had certainly left by the time of Coles murder as he was living a stones throw from Swallow Gardens.

Monty

Comment

Just had a quick check and it would seem Pearce moved into the house sometime between 1883 and 1888.

One thing I will mention, which I had forgot, is that Pearces son, William, was described in the 1901 as an 'imbecile from birth'. In 1888 he would have been around 8 years of age, and I suspect it was due to Williams situation that Pearce was granted a Police Home.

Monty

Comment

Thanks Monty

I wonder if that could possibly be relevant to the location of the murder

I would imagine a local guy might be well aware of Morris' presence and that policemen live in / near the square

There's a small possibility the location was chosen for that reason

I remember Jake's 3D stuff in the square and if I remember correctly, the body was practically below Pearce's windows

Comment

I've always been interested in this little story How, and the connection to Mitre Square. There was a thread on casebook a couple of years back where i posted a snippet from John Sweeney's memoirs of Scotland Yard where he mentions Cunningham or Burton lodging at the house in Mitre Square and a policeman living in the square becoming suspicious of his actions which led to his arrest. I am sure the policeman is named in some reports or books.

John Sweeney also mentions another of the bombers of that year in his book, Joseph Flemming, who was supposedly killed blowing up London Bridge. Scotland yard received communication a couple of years after his death ( must have been very close to 88) that he was actually still alive so police were put on surveilance of his old haunts and I always wondered if they could have been watching Mitre Square for him, seeing as he had connections there at one time. They eventually tracked down Flemming's sister to Southwark I think it was and discovered he was really dead.

I also posted some other snippets about a restaurant frequented by Burton and Cunningham which I thought were interesting, I think it was on a thread about where Eddowes was found drunk...the old Aldgate vs Aldgate High Street discussion.

This post is a bit vague as I am in a rush, but I will see if I can find any of the old discussion as I find it really interesting.

Comment

Wow

I wonder what went through their minds when they heard of a Joe Fleming connection with Kelly...

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                      Wow

I wonder what went through their minds when they heard of a Joe Fleming connection with Kelly...
                      Nemo, probably nothing, it was John Flemming that was killed in the explosion, along with the Lomasney brothers, not Joseph like I wrote, sorry.

Comment

Thanks to Debs and Monty for the updates.
                        Like I said, I'll look for other articles this afternoon.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Oh - lol

Anyway, they might have been interested in the mining connection as a lot of dynamite would probably have originated from there

And the fact that her husband was blown up

(I'm making this up as I go along if you hadn't noticed)

Comment

This article mentions the character Burton moving in to Mitre Square as did the previous one.
                            However, it also mentions his landlord in Bow, one Emma Harvey.

Not sure what to make of it and I'm still looking for the name of the policeman who Burton rented from in Mitre Square...

Of course as you know, PC Harvey was a City policeman and Mitre Square is within City jurisdiction and...............

New York Herald
                            February 10,1885

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I found the name. Its Witteridge

Leave it to a good old Boston newspaper for the news you need.

Boston Journal
                              February 10, 1885
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X