Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edison's recording of Arthur Sullivan's "The Lost Chord", 1888.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edison's recording of Arthur Sullivan's "The Lost Chord", 1888.

In 1888, Thomas Edison sent his "Perfected" Phonograph to Mr. George Gouraud in London, England, and on August 14, 1888, Gouraud introduced the phonograph to London in a press conference, including the playing of a piano and cornet recording of Sullivan's "The Lost Chord," one of the first recordings of music ever made.

Edison's recording of Arthur Sullivan's "The Lost Chord".

Great stuff, Pilgrim. Thanks for the link - it really takes you back!

Comment

Ditto that Sam..

Pilgrim's been bringing to the fore numerous good links to when Old Man Linford was a teenager...the LVP.

Now if Pilgrim could take me back to the LVP ,I'd solve this sumbitchin' case in a jiffy !

Good link as usual,Pilgrim.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I love these really, really early recordings. I've got loads of them on mp3s. Sections of the Handel Festival at Crystal Palace in the summer of 1888, that spooky recent discovery of AU CLAIRE DE LA LUNE from 1860 (yes, 1860!!!), other recordings in different pre-Edison formats from the 1870s (I love the very poor recording of the Metropolitan Elevated Railway in New York), Big Ben tolling in 1890, Arthur Sullivan himself talking a couple of days after the Double Event...

They're wonderful! Play one whilst looking at a stereoview from the time and you're there.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Mishter Hutchinson
          I love these really, really early recordings.
          Did you see these then, Mishter Hutchinson?

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=2262

Comment

I've collected early recordings and the machines to play them on for the last 30 years or so. Not being a millionaire I haven't got anything older than about 1895 when commercial recordings really took off, and the nearest I can come to anything vaguely JTR related is a couple of wax cylinders of Michael Maybrick's songs recorded around 1908 by the English Edison company, and sung by Peter Dawson.

There does exist a sound recording of Brahms speaking and playing the piano and another of Tchaikovsky whistling. There is also the disputed recording of Queen Victoria. If you get the chance, you should also try and hear the recordings made by the last castrato of the Sistine chapel, Signor Moreschi, recorded in 1903.......Strange isn't the word.!

Regards to all.

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X