Victorian Attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely pics, How and Dave.
    Dave I'm researching a Hartley family in Halifax c 1860s for a friend of mine-do you have a Richard or John Hartley in your tree?!

Comment

Hi Debs

Maybe. I'm not much of a one for fashion. I do remember once knowing one of the words from 'Call My Bluff.' The word was 'gibus' which was a collapsible hat for taking to the opera. I knew that because I'd read "Kipps" by H.G. Wells. But in general most stuff about clothes goes in one ear and out the other.

Comment

practise

Hello Howard. Of course, SOME prefer practise to theory.

Cheers.
        LC

http://recollections.biz/Merchant2/m...y_Code=Evening

Comment

Victorian Whitby

A young Yorkshire lass with her stays, chemise and fish nets on show.

Photographer's description: "Photograph of girl with net over her shoulder wearing a plaided shawl. Dress waist open showing stays."

Comment

I love old photos. Victorian clothes are so much nicer

Comment

My paternal grandmother Birtles Pointon before her marriage to Edward George. She was born in 1876 on the Isle of Man, so this photograph was probably taken in the mid-1890's.

One other thing. Poster Gilex at My Liverpool found this nice listing from the Sears Roebuck catalogue showing men's headgear of the period. It's from their 1902 catalogue but I should think most of these hats were probably worn in the late 19th century.

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

My great grandfather - mid 1890's
                Attached Files
                Tel
                Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Comment

From Gary Barnett

To Join JTR Forums :
                  Contact [email protected]

Comment

Thank you, How.

The picture is of my ggg uncle, George Robert Barnett on his wedding day in 1860. He was born in North Place, Little North Street, Whitechapel. His father was a horse slaughterer working at Monk's slaughter yard in Little North Street.

By 1888 Little North Street had been renamed Winthrop Street and the yard was owned by Harrison Barber.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                      Thank you, How.

The picture is of my gg uncle, George Robert Barnett on his wedding day in 1860. He was born in North Place, Little North Street, Whitechapel. His father was a horse slaughterer working at Monk's slaughter yard in Little North Street.

By 1888 Little North Street had been renamed Winthrop Street and the yard was owned by Harrison Barber.
                      Thanks Gary. I always think those ribbon type bow ties make the photos look American.
                      Any relation to Joseph?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                        Thanks Gary. I always think those ribbon type bow ties make the photos look American.
                        Any relation to Joseph?
                        He had an older brother named Joseph and an Irish mother, but no connection to MJK's Joseph as far as I know. The Barnett ancestry is English (Whitechapel, Stepney, City) back to the mid-18th century as far as I can tell.

Comment

Nice picture. Thanks for posting it.
                          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                            Thank you, How.

The picture is of my ggg uncle, George Robert Barnett on his wedding day in 1860. He was born in North Place, Little North Street, Whitechapel. His father was a horse slaughterer working at Monk's slaughter yard in Little North Street.

I have just discovered this man's marriage cert. It amused me for two reasons: the use of the word 'knacker', which I hadn't seen on an official document before, and the name of the second witness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	555065

Comment

There she went!

Comment

Men of the 72nd Regiment of Foot (Highlanders) wearing Crimean War campaign medals.

What was it Wellington said of his men at Waterloo?

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me."

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	556386

Comment

Working...
                                X