Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by String View Post
    Holmes turned to Watson and said "Are you sure?"
    Watson looked into Holmes eyes and replied "I've never been as sure in my whole life."
    Holmes and Watson then signed thier civil partnership and lived in 221b Baker Street for the rest of their lives.
    (Bites lip, and resists temptation to tell the "lemon entry" joke...)
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
      Having Sonny Bono in their pockets didn't hurt either.
      "Babe, I've got Juwe babe, I've got Juwe babe..."
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Even after the copyright expires, the creator still has the moral right (which is recognised legally) to be recognised as the creator, and the estate of the deceased author can prevent publications which are deemed detrimental to the original.

I was under the impression that copyright lasted the life of the author plus 70 years, so that being the case, shouldn't Sherlock Holmes have been "on the market" way back in 2000!?

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
          Even after the copyright expires, the creator still has the moral right (which is recognised legally) to be recognised as the creator, and the estate of the deceased author can prevent publications which are deemed detrimental to the original.

I was under the impression that copyright lasted the life of the author plus 70 years, so that being the case, shouldn't Sherlock Holmes have been "on the market" way back in 2000!?

Cheers,
          Adam.
          In the US it's steadily crept up to 95 years, or 120 if produced by committee.
          But the US doesn't recognize any copyright prior to 1923
          "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Hi Magpie,

Thanks for that. Presumably since the original work was done in England, the copyright would adhere to their laws. Most (all?) of the Sherlock Holmes work would have been completed by 1923? Arthur Conan Doyle was quite literally off with the fairies by then....

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                Hi Magpie,

Thanks for that. Presumably since the original work was done in England, the copyright would adhere to their laws. Most (all?) of the Sherlock Holmes work would have been completed by 1923? Arthur Conan Doyle was quite literally off with the fairies by then....

Cheers,
                Adam.
                Hi Adam. It's usually decided by the Doctrine of the Shorter Time. which means that if say you wanted to publish an American novel in Aus and in the America its copyright protection is 840 years (don't laugh, it'll get there one day) and the Aussie protection is 50 years, then the protection for that bock in Australia is 50 years.

As to the Sherlock thing, I'm sort of going off memory here but was sort of like the family ran across some unpublished Holmes descriptive notes that he lent to one of the writer of one of the myriad of films who then used it to introduce some of the things we associate with Holmes that actually weren't in the books. They they argued that because the movie was still under copyright, the notes that formed the bases for the depiction were also under copyright, and if the description was copyrighted then the character being described was still under copyright and if the character was copyrighted then obviously all the stories he appeared in should remain under copyright until the movies copyright expired. And after the the judge and lawyers all got them breath back after laughing so hard the judge figured they'd better have a trial and make it official.
                "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

The author's estate has hit the director, distributor and studio behind the upcoming Mr. Holmes with a copyright complaint, claiming the plot infringes on the fictional stories written by Conan Doyle.

Comment

Well now I expect my book to go flying of the shelves and for the doors to open in Hollywood

Comment

Working...
                    X