Portsmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portsmouth

I recently came back from a trip to Portsmouth/Southsea. If anyone gets the chance to go I have to recommend seeing the Richard Lancelyn Green collection. A must for any Holmes/Doyle fans. Some wonderful items belonging to the Dr and some great Holmes memorabilia. Friendly staff too. It's free to get in but contributions are welcome. A good souvenir area too. I only spent 40 (pretty restrained for me) which included a book on Doyle's interest in spiritualism. I also drooled over Green's remarkable Doyle/Holmes book collection kept at the library. Security is understandably tight though. Nearby was the blue plaque site where Doyle wrote A Study In Scarlet and The Sign of Four. And as a bonus for history buffs the excellent Dickens birthplace museum is close by as well as the dockyard and HMS Victory and The Mary Rose.
    And before you suggest it, no I don't work for the Portsmouth or Southsea tourist board. :cool:

Regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Banks; June 10, 2017, 08:51 AM. Reason: Useless spelling!
    Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Hi Michael,

A few years ago I was doing some research into a woman with the delightful name of Fanny Lock. She had been born Fanny Capper in Hereford Street, Landport in 1837.

I never got round to visiting Portsmouth, but looking into the area now, it does seem to be quite interesting.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary

Marriage did nothing to improve that poor woman's name! Could have been worse but we won't go into that.

If your a Doyle/Holmes fan it's worth a visit. Because we were only going for two days I had limited time and my two friends wanted to see and do other things too. If I'd had more time I'd have hunted down a few more Doyle locations. We did intend to find the plaque at the site for Bush Villas but ended up finding it accidentally. I bought Conan Doyle and the Mysterious World of Light by local guy(I think) Matt Wingett. It's about Doyle's interest in spiritualism. I'll start it tomorrow as I'm nearing the end of 'Jewbaiter.'
      By the way, Southsea isn't much of a holiday destination, if your thinking of ever taking family, kids etc. Apart from the shingle beach there's not much else. Decent small castle and a closed for refurbishment d-day landing museum.

That's the end of my broadcast for the Portsmouth and Southsea tourist board.
      Next proposed trip is Wimborne (for Druitt) and Bournemouth (for Abberline)

Regards
      Michael
      Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
        Hi Gary

Marriage did nothing to improve that poor woman's name! Could have been worse but we won't go into that.

If your a Doyle/Holmes fan it's worth a visit. Because we were only going for two days I had limited time and my two friends wanted to see and do other things too. If I'd had more time I'd have hunted down a few more Doyle locations. We did intend to find the plaque at the site for Bush Villas but ended up finding it accidentally. I bought Conan Doyle and the Mysterious World of Light by local guy(I think) Matt Wingett. It's about Doyle's interest in spiritualism. I'll start it tomorrow as I'm nearing the end of 'Jewbaiter.'
        By the way, Southsea isn't much of a holiday destination, if your thinking of ever taking family, kids etc. Apart from the shingle beach there's not much else. Decent small castle and a closed for refurbishment d-day landing museum.

That's the end of my broadcast for the Portsmouth and Southsea tourist board.
        Next proposed trip is Wimborne (for Druitt) and Bournemouth (for Abberline)

Regards
        Michael
        My wife and I were married in Bournemouth Register Office (in 1876, or thereabouts).

At the time, I was working in Holdenhurst Road, which I think is where Abberline lived?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          My wife and I were married in Bournemouth Register Office (in 1876, or thereabouts).

At the time, I was working in Holdenhurst Road, which I think is where Abberline lived?
          I'm pretty sure that it is. My friend has been to the house and I wouldn't mind seeing it for myself. Then again there are many ripper related sites I'd like to see. Gull's grave for example. Time and money though!

My friend and I once spoke about getting together a book of ripper related photographs. Lesser known spots sort of thing. For example, I think (and I may be wrong) that Dr Llewelyn's house is still there? Peripheral figures sort of thing. Basically whatever is left before it all disappears.

Regards
          Michael
          Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
            I'm pretty sure that it is. My friend has been to the house and I wouldn't mind seeing it for myself. Then again there are many ripper related sites I'd like to see. Gull's grave for example. Time and money though!

My friend and I once spoke about getting together a book of ripper related photographs. Lesser known spots sort of thing. For example, I think (and I may be wrong) that Dr Llewelyn's house is still there? Peripheral figures sort of thing. Basically whatever is left before it all disappears.

Regards
            Michael
            That sounds a great idea.

William Crossingham's last residence is just five minutes walk away from where I live. The pub where his daughter Matilda had her wedding reception is also close by, but it has been closed for years and suffered a fire a short while ago.

One of the many bees in my bonnet is that there may have been some tension between Matilda and/or her mother Margaret (nee Sullivan) and her step-sister Annie (Daniel McCarthy's wife).

Comment

This is William Crossingham's house in Romford. It is called St Margarets .

Is it a coincidence that his wife's name was Margaret, I wonder? I doubt it was a coincidence that the Halls, with their Ceylon connections, lived in a house call Lanka.

I think there may also be a possible significance in the name of Abberline's house in Bournemouth. It was discussed a while ago on Casebook, but I seem to remember that I had my own theory about the origin of the name.

Gary

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	558051

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                That sounds a great idea.

William Crossingham's last residence is just five minutes walk away from where I live. The pub where his daughter Matilda had her wedding reception is also close by, but it has been closed for years and suffered a fire a short while ago.

One of the many bees in my bonnet is that there may have been some tension between Matilda and/or her mother Margaret (nee Sullivan) and her step-sister Annie (Daniel McCarthy's wife).
                Thanks Gary but I think it will have to remain a possibility for someone else. Time is a big issue. I'm pretty much tied away from London. I'm also utterly useless when it comes to technology. It almost amounts to an illness. Combine that with an almost total lack of patience it makes me 'not the man' for the job. Maybe someone else might have a go one day.

Is there a ripper relevance to the 'bee in your bonnet' above?

Regards
                Michael
                Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

I put up my last post before seeing the photo. Crossingham did pretty well for himself. I'd be interested to hear your theory about the origin of the name.

I wish that I'd gotten into research.

'Regrets I had a few........'

Regards
                  Michael
                  Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

Estcourt :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...tcourt&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      That's the one!

I think this may be the origin of the name:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estcourt

Comment

Hi Gary

There was also an Estcourt House, or something like that, in Sherborne, I think.

But it looks to me as though Abberline didn't so much as name a house Estcourt, as move into one already so named.

In 1901 there is an Estcourt in Holdenhurst Rd. It was the home of William J Miller, born Liverpool, and family. I cannot say for sure that it was #195 since there was a whole string of houses with names instead of numbers. I clicked backwards to where the numbers left off, and clicked forwards to where they recommenced, and counted the named housed inbetween. They didn't tally. However, either way they weren't far out, and it would be an odd coincidence for someone to call his house Estcourt when there was already one (or had recently been one) so named just a few doors away.

I looked for William Miller in 1911 and he had moved to Ophir Rd, Bournemouth. He had taken the name of Estcourt with him. So it's quite possible that Abberline moved into Miller's house.

By 1939 the whole of Bournemouth was probably covered in Estcourts, a cunning attempt to make sure that if the Germans landed, they couldn't find a pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                          Hi Gary

There was also an Estcourt House, or something like that, in Sherborne, I think.

But it looks to me as though Abberline didn't so much as name a house Estcourt, as move into one already so named.

In 1901 there is an Estcourt in Holdenhurst Rd. It was the home of William J Miller, born Liverpool, and family. I cannot say for sure that it was #195 since there was a whole string of houses with names instead of numbers. I clicked backwards to where the numbers left off, and clicked forwards to where they recommenced, and counted the named housed inbetween. They didn't tally. However, either way they weren't far out, and it would be an odd coincidence for someone to call his house Estcourt when there was already one (or had recently been one) so named just a few doors away.

I looked for William Miller in 1911 and he had moved to Ophir Rd, Bournemouth. He had taken the name of Estcourt with him. So it's quite possible that Abberline moved into Miller's house.

By 1939 the whole of Bournemouth was probably covered in Estcourts, a cunning attempt to make sure that if the Germans landed, they couldn't find a pub.
                          I thought we'd discussed it before:

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....eni#post297834

Comment

Doh!!

Comment

I remember the 'is caught' thing from a few years ago but I can't recall who suggested it?

I wish that I knew how to add a link

Michael
                              Regards

Michael🔎

Comment

Working...
                              X