***Blackest London***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Blackest London***

At first, I thought I had already put this article on the boards, because the group photo on Dorset Street ( the photo,not this caricature) is something I know I have seen.
    I'll set up another thread for the one depiction I've never seen...

St.Paul Appeal
    August 16,1902

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Hey amigo this is a GREAT find
      Two things in particular struck me
      1) The pic of Dorset Street - how similar the disposition of the crowd is to the pic that Philip found of Dutfields Yard
      2) the pic at the bottom - captioned "Entrance to Blood Alley" - the text makes it clear this is the entrance to Millers Court!
      Thanks again How

Comment

Great stuff, How. Yes, that looks like the entrance to the Court, and even the diagonal pattern of light and shadow reminds me of the Matters photo, except with this one, you can see the light at the other end.

Comment

Hi Robert
          Here are the pic that How found and the Matters one together
          Both doors have the over window but the door panels themselves are different - but the line drawing is 1902 and the Matters pic 1928.
          The downpipe running down to the right of the archway is the same and the bulbous drainpipe juction in more or less the same place

Comment

Thanks Chris. Here's a Times item June 3rd 1901.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great picture of 35 Dorset St Howard

Does an alley lead away from Dorset St past the door of 35 as depicted in the picture?

I always thought the only way to approach 26 Dorset St was East or West along Dorset St, but that seems to imply that someone could have walked up the alleyway and crossed the road to 26

That doorway of 26 Dorset St can't have been there in 1888 as it looks nothing like the one in Jake's graphics in JtR : The Definitive Story...

Comment

Hi Howard,

A most interesting find, may I just add a couple of thoughts.

The price of a furnished room is given as 1 shilling per night with the seventh night free. That gives a rent of 6 shillings per week, Mary Kelly we know was charged 4 shillings and sixpence a week [ie four and a half shillings], that means she was getting a 25 per cent discount on the going rate.

The furnished room price is also given as 20 -25 cents per night, this gives us an idea of the exchage rate of the pound/dollar - 1 pound equals approx. 4 dollars 50 cents.

The mention of Bridget McCarthy is good evidence of how influential the McCarthy family must have been in Dorset Street.

Does the St Pauls Appeal still exist and have they retained copies of the photographs/negatives they took?

Rgds
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                  Great picture of 35 Dorset St Howard

Does an alley lead away from Dorset St past the door of 35 as depicted in the picture?

I always thought the only way to approach 26 Dorset St was East or West along Dorset St, but that seems to imply that someone could have walked up the alleyway and crossed the road to 26

That doorway of 26 Dorset St can't have been there in 1888 as it looks nothing like the one in Jake's graphics in JtR : The Definitive Story...
                  Yes Nemo, Little Paternoster Row which leads out to Brushfield Street. Basically the St Pauls Appeals image is of the spot Annie Chapman was allegedly last seen.

And I suspect Jake hasnt seen the image....Geeze, cut some slack eh.

Monty

Courtesty of Rob Clack
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ah yes, of course, I was mixing it up with another building I think - Thanks Neil

I was referring to the door of 26 Dorset St , not 35, and I suspect Jake has definitely seen pictures of it - though I get your point and promise not to refer to Jake's graphics as anything but 100% accurate

Best Regards

Nemo

Comment

Thats not my point at all Nemo.

And no need for the sarcasm, its not conducive to a co-operative relationship which we ALL rely on.

Monty

Comment

Apologies for any offence Neil - it wasn't my intention

I wasn't being sarcastic though - It was a statement, I truly won't point out anything awry with Jake's graphics as I wouldn't want to be thought of as petty, pedantic or similar, as has been the case so far

Unlike 99.9% of other posters, I have a great interest in and understanding of the process of producing such graphics, which are very labour intensive and much credit must go to Jake for his monumental efforts

Though I might have a small issue with the graphics being described by others as 100% accurate, including the lighting, I'll save my comments and questions for the time, if it ever occurs, that I can chat to Jake about it over a pint

Rest assured, that's my last comment about it on the boards

No hard feelings

Best Regards

Nemo

Comment

I'll take that with the spirit intended Nemo and offer my apologies if I have misunderstood.

No offence taken nor intended on my part either.

Back to the topic in hand.

Monty

Comment

Agreed

--------------------

That's an interesting reference to aristocratic personages who were connected to Dorset St, being the real owners

Would they ever visit / slum it in the area I wonder?

Mrs McCarthy sounds a right one - is she the Mrs McCarthy there in 1888?

In looking for a reason for JtR to stop his run of murders, one reason may be that he was murdered himself

It may be worth looking into people such as "Fishy Jack" or other male murder victims killed near November 1888 and resident within the local area

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                              Back to the topic in hand.
                              Which is that Howard has unearthed a gem of an article here.

Anybody got extra info on Billy Myers and Bridget McCarthy?
                              Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Working...
                              X