• Show
Clear All

Not murders, but muggings.

Morning Post
    November 01, 1900
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Bump Up for those who haven't seen the thread before....
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

in the kip

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        Not murders, but muggings.
        Hi Howard

Both of these trials can be found on the Old Bailey website by using the names of the victims in the key words box for the year 1900.
        Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Thanks for that, ST
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

It would so interesting to see the original photos from which the Appeal images were made.

It may be wishful thinking, but I detect a proprietorial air in the couple in the midst of the throng outside 35, Dorset Street (see below).

Could they be the Crossinghams ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	554926

Comment

The image does seem staged. The man with his back to the camera seems to be keeping the hoi polloi in check. The couple in the foreground appear to be the main focus of the image - or they would be if it weren't for the kids doing what kids do best - getting in the bloody way!

Comment

Gary, anyone....
                Don't we have a copy of this...the actual photograph, that is ?
                Why am I thinking that we do....that it was located after the article was posted here ?!?!?
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Gary, anyone....
                  Don't we have a copy of this...the actual photograph, that is ?
                  Why am I thinking that we do....that it was located after the article was posted here ?!?!?
                  How,

I haven't seen it, but I would love to. A better image would show us how the couple were dressed. They might be just regular lodging house residents who happened to get to the front of the crowd.

I also wonder what is on the bannner being held up at the door of 35. Could it have been a response to Fred McKenzie's ' Worst Street in London' article in The Daily Maily of July 16th, 1901? If so, that would place it after the murder of Mary Austin and after Lewis Lewinsky's arrest in May, 1901 and that would overturn the idea that 'Billy Myers' was Lewinsky (assuming the photos were taken at the same time).

Gary

Comment

A reminder...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	554927

Comment

Sometimes, your memory can get muddied by all the things we see, G-man and we mix things up.... but for some reason I think the actual photo is available...but where is ze question.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Sometimes, your memory can get muddied by all the things we see, G-man and we mix things up.... but for some reason I think the actual photo is available...but where is ze question.
                        The angled doorway reminds me of the NE corner of Winthrop Street. There are a few images of that floating around. There's one in The London of Jack The Ripper Then And Now with some men and kids hanging around to be photographed that has a similar feel to the Appeal image.

Comment

The picture in post #39 looks familiar to me. I'm wondering if it could be found on Pinterest. A great volume of information can be found on the various boards. Some people ridicule Pinterest but I think it is yet one other research tool.
                          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

This article had been published the previous year (11th Aug, 1901) in the St. Louis Republic without pictures, although the taking of the 'Billy Myers' photo is mentioned.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were an even earlier version, post Thompson but pre Austin (i.e. Dec '00 to May'01), which did contain the photos. Probably a U.S. publication.

Comment

Hi Howard

If the original photo was available it would be very well known so we have to presume that it is lost. The writing at the bottom of the drawing from the photo says

35 Dorset Street

Lodging House where the recent murder was commited
                              Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Thanks Stephen...you're probably right. I think its a case of me mixing up this photo with another of the general area.
                                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                                X