Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The London Hospital

hello there,

some pictures of the london hospital dated <= 1910.

take care
    thomas.

Thank you Tom...very nice,sir !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Tom
      Very nice. That roped off bit of ground in the fourth picture -- any notion of what that might be? Probably road construction, but one never knows. Or a horsehoe pitch to keep the waiting patients from becoming bored.

Time Rover

Comment

The waiting hall looks drab. No portraits of worthy physicians, etc, etc. Just a plaque on the wall.

Robert

Comment

You're right, Robert. It looks like a bus or train station, except those were a bit more posh. At least later in the century they added warning notices and those portraits staring down at you as is to ask "You're just faking this, right?"

Time Rover

Comment

Hi Time Rover

It's weird. I mean, those walls would have been boring for the patients. But the thing that gets me is, I have the impression that the Victorians lost no opportunity to proclaim to the world - and particularly the masses - the grandeur and solidity of their public buildings. I don't see why portraits etc should have been removed by 1910, so I can only conclude that they were never there.

Later on, of course, hospitals were plastered with "give up smoking, give up fatty foods, give up living" posters

Robert

Comment

hi tr,

yep - it's a road construction fence - the thing behind, where those people are standing, appears to be a soup kitchen...atleast that's what it looks like to me...

take care
              thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford
                Later on, of course, hospitals were plastered with "give up smoking, give up fatty foods, give up living" posters Robert
                And painted a gawd awful color of icky green. Or at least the Veteran's hospitals here in the US were blessed with that color. You do make a point -- for the era of the hospital, you would have expected the room to be far more grand.

Thomas -- A soup kitchen. Hadn't even thought of that. You've hit on an obsession of mine -- staring at old photographs. They just mesmerize me.

Jana/TimeRover

Comment

Gang:

I'm wondering if the same "Dr.Sutton" house physician and one of the world's leading experts on the kidney and its diseases was the same Dr.Sutton who released Stephenson TWICE during his stays at L.H.

This is a mysterious omission from both books that have been written on Stephenson,as the first,The True Face does NOT mention Sutton by name and the latter was sans index.

However, Paul Begg has quite a bit on Henry Gawen Sutton....who was the physician who may have been the support which Major Henry Smith relied on regarding the Lusk Kidney.

Mr.Begg's "The Facts"....such a trove of information and food for thought....has this on pages 214-216.

Seriously....How could an author discussing Stephenson "forget" to mention Sutton and his prominence at London Hospital

Has anyone considered seeing if he left any papers for future perusal?

More to come....
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How,

A tenuous link to London Hospital - just wondering if there has been extensive use made of this archive:

http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/searc...%20LH%2FX%2F97

I know that some of the illustrative material has been reproduced such as the Mitre Square stuff but what about the rest? Larkins’ name also figures in the Antoni Pricha and Portuguese cattlemen scenarios in Casebook>

http://nospam.casebook.org/ripper_media/rps.leaves.html

- but nothing there on his medical student theory.

Perhaps someone out there has trawled through this before but I’ve posted it just in case (the www.aim25.ac.uk website might be useful to those unaware of its existence).

Graham W.

Comment

GCW:

Thanks very much for these links,sir....

As I corrected my post over at Casebook,the second book on RDS by Edwards does mention Sutton,but not his first name,which is no error or oversight on anyone's part,since Sutton probably did not put his first name on the release form. Few doctors do as its unnecessary.

I'll get crackin' on the URL's you sent and thanks again,GCW. Nice gesture.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Here's some bio :

Comment

Sigh. He didn't have a very eventful life, by the look of it. I'll try again :
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thats fine Robert.....Most of the sources ( other than a biography ) will be the same. What you supplied is sufficient...no need to go to any extra effort,old bean.

Do you see what I mean,Robert? I mentioned it on Casebook about how unusual it seems that a renal authority would be,to be, in charge of a neurasthenic AND an eventual victim of chloralism. I can't understand it.

Not once,but twice.

Something stinks here....and I can't figure it out.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                              Thats fine Robert.....Most of the sources ( other than a biography ) will be the same. What you supplied is sufficient...no need to go to any extra effort,old bean.

Do you see what I mean,Robert? I mentioned it on Casebook about how unusual it seems that a renal authority would be,to be, in charge of a neurasthenic AND an eventual victim of chloralism. I can't understand it.

Not once,but twice.

Something stinks here....and I can't figure it out.
                              My favorite post for many,many years.

Henry Gawen Sutton was Jack the Ripper.

He was also the reason RL Stevenson wrote Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

D'Onston,what a strange name for a website ,had what we now know as Fibromyalgia which is caused by a "strep" infection that "takes over" the small intestine.

Mary Ann Nichols and Catherine Conway/Eddowes had similar (Rheumatic Fever /strep pyogenes) and were Sutton's inpatients from December 1867.

Jack the Ripper's story goes back to ~ 1868 when Sutton was Shoreditch Vestry Board's Medical Officer and Mary Ann Kelly was 9 years of age .......

Comment

Working...
                              X