Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tales from The Ratcliffe Highway*

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by D.J.Adams View Post

    Popped over here from time to time,reading what I found interesting.

    My all time favorite was quite some time ago

    Scoreboard Gary 2, Dave 0.
    I’m sure you’re welcome to pop over whenever you feel like it.

    The more the merrier. :-)

    Comment


    • You just want a chance to make it 3 0

      I joined some months ago.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by D.J.Adams View Post
        You just want a chance to make it 3 0

        I joined some months ago.
        I saw that. Welcome indeed.

        There are huge gaps in my knowledge of the case, you could easily claw back those points. Probably best to stick clear of Breezer’s Hill or horse slaughtering though. :-)

        Comment


        • Not interested in horse slaughtering.

          Enough of a problem with a neddie I backed on Saturday

          Genuinely interested in those full census entries.Mary Kelly's background after the West End fascinates me.

          Been seeking a suitable screenwriter for over 17 years IIRC.

          Like to take you up on starting a thread on my suspect.My health is very poor and am way behind in every aspect of my life.
          You would have the gist from my posts on that other place.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D.J.Adams View Post
            Not interested in horse slaughtering.

            Enough of a problem with a neddie I backed on Saturday

            Genuinely interested in those full census entries.Mary Kelly's background after the West End fascinates me.

            Been seeking a suitable screenwriter for over 17 years IIRC.

            Like to take you up on starting a thread on my suspect.My health is very poor and am way behind in every aspect of my life.
            You would have the gist from my posts on that other place.
            I’ll post the census info tomorrow, if that’s OK. If I forget, remind me. I have a memory like a sieve these days.

            Mary Kelly’s Highway period is the part of her life that interests me most.

            Yes, I’ve some idea of who your suspect is, but I don’t know all the details.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

              I’m sure you’re welcome to pop over whenever you feel like it.

              The more the merrier. :-)
              Amen to that.

              Comment


              • 1881 Census:
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • 1891 Census:
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • I’m not sure why they didn’t upload in the correct border.

                    Comment


                    • Thanks for that.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                        Pennington Street

                        Harry Christopherson and Bertha Bittner were married on the 10th November, 1884.

                        Harry was a Norwegian seaman, the son of a policeman. Bertha was German and the daughter of a carpenter.

                        At the time of the marriage, Harry's address was 88, Pennington Street, the premises on which, in 1888, Bertha was alleged to have kept a girl under 16 years old for immoral purposes. The girl, Dorothea Dahloff, of German birth, had been trafficked from Antwerp. At the time, Bertha was described as a 'brothel keeper'.

                        Bertha's address when she married was 107, Pennington Street. In 1881, a German woman named Schmidt was the head of the household. Living there also (shown as visitors) were 3 young German women and a Swedish sailor. No prizes for guessing what kind of establishment it was.

                        By 1891, the Christophersons were living at 3, Breezers Hill with two single female lodgers.

                        Charles Booth's police minder described the prostitution of the area as 'sturdy' and claimed the women did not have bullies to live off their earnings. He specifically mentions the German prostitutes of John's Hill, which he puts on a par with Mayfields Buildings (Shovel Alley) across the Highway - 'the worst place in the subdivision'.
                        Ah, that should be this case (complainant not named):

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Jurriaan Maessen View Post

                          Ah, that should be this case (complainant not named):
                          Yes, that’s the one.

                          Comment


                          • This is from the Croydon Times of 12th October, 1921. So at least two of the ‘cottages’ in Breezer’s Hill survived well into the 20th century.



                            Attached Files

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X