Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duval Street: A 'New Friend With An Old Face'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Duval St

    Hi all,

    A quick Google came up with this for the date of the name change -
    Dorset Street, London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Street,_London
    Dorset Street was situated at the heart of the Spitalfields rookery in the East End of London, .... Dorset Street was renamed 'Duval Street' on 28 June 1904.

    Hope this helps
    Dave
    "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Dave James View Post
      Hi all,

      A quick Google came up with this for the date of the name change -
      Dorset Street, London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Street,_London
      Dorset Street was situated at the heart of the Spitalfields rookery in the East End of London, .... Dorset Street was renamed 'Duval Street' on 28 June 1904.

      Hope this helps
      Thanks, Dave. That would tie in to Wynne Baxter's comments in Dec., 1904.

      Comment


      • #18
        Mrs Edith Eleanor (Ellen) Dresch nee Field did have a daughter Edith who would have been 22 at the time of the murder. According to one Ancestry tree Edith was in the workhouse in 1901. In 1909 Mrs Dresch said she hadn't heard from her daughter for two years. I don't know what became of Edith but since Mrs Dresch gives herself as having had 14 children, of which only six survived by 1911, and since only 4 of them are on the census form, it remains to be seen if Mrs Dresch still considered Edith to be dead by 1911.

        Comment


        • #19
          It seems Edith was baptised in the workhouse in 1901 as Ellen Dresch.

          Comment


          • #20
            Robert,

            Are they the family from Clerkenwell - father Charles a carpenter/box-maker?

            Gary

            Comment


            • #21
              Yes Gary, painters' labourer, box maker, labourer.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                Yes Gary, painters' labourer, box maker, labourer.
                Is he the 18-y-o cabinet maker son of Geo in 1881?

                Comment


                • #23
                  I 'borrowed' these next two photos of Duval Street in 1960 from Casebook where they were posted by Rob Clack (hope that's OK).


                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	556539

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	556540

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      And another one from the same source:

                      I think I'm right that the doorway in the photo is the same one through which Billy Maher and his two confederates gained access in 1897 (i.e. no. 20, the house that mysteriously avoided the 1891 census).

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	556541

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        His 1885 marriage shows him as 23, occupation fancy cabinet maker, same as his dad George.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                          His 1885 marriage shows him as 23, occupation fancy cabinet maker, same as his dad George.
                          Fancy that.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re Mrs Dresch, if it's true that she hadn't seen her daughter in two years, then knowing how young women down on their luck could turn to prostitution, complete with name change, Mrs Dresch may have wanted to view the body to assure herself that it wasn't her daughter.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                              Re Mrs Dresch, if it's true that she hadn't seen her daughter in two years, then knowing how young women down on their luck could turn to prostitution, complete with name change, Mrs Dresch may have wanted to view the body to assure herself that it wasn't her daughter.
                              Yes, Rob, I don't get the feeling this was just morbid curiosity.

                              Even after the deaths of the 'Lords' (the men who were blamed for nothing) bad things happened in that street. It was somewhere the desperate and the vulnerable ended up. The only way the likes of Crossingham and McCarthy could have improved the situation would have been to shut up shop.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X