• Show
Clear All

• **Wickedest Street In London-1901-Rob Clack**

Rob Clack located this from the SF Chronicle

San Francisco Chronicle
    Sunday, August 4, 1901

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

By the way, very nice find Rob. I looked into the source where it came from and it was hard as hell to find it even then.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I think I found it under Dorset Street. I felt certain you had already seen it and posted it here.

Rob

Comment

Fantastic find, Rob!

It predates the Appeal article which ran in August, 1902. It looks like the text is pretty much the same, but this has the original photos from which the Appeal reproductions were made.

The Billy Myers sketch, though, looks like it was only loosely based on the photo used by the Appeal - the stance is the same but he's wearing a hat in this version.

Could the couple outside 35 be the Crossinghams?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	556662

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Could the couple outside 35 be the Crossinghams?
          I doubt it, my money would be on Henry and Maria Moore the Deputies.

Rob

Comment

Gary:
            Only to augment Rob's find in the Chronicle, remember this thread ?

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ht=blood+alley
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Gary:
              Only to augment Rob's find in the Chronicle, remember this thread ?

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....ht=blood+alley
              I do. You knew there was an actual photo of 35 out there somewhere.

Great stuff. Pity they chose to sketch Billy M and not reproduce his photo.

The SFC looks remarkably modern for its date don't you think? At first glance I thought I was looking at a 1960's counter-culture title.

I'll link this thread to the Billy Maher one.

Comment

There seem to be two photos (or a photo and a sketch) of Blood Alley. One shows the entrance - but the other seems to be taken from the other end of the alley and shows the inside of the Court (the one showing a man apparently holding a gun but probably a broom).

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                  There seem to be two photos (or a photo and a sketch) of Blood Alley. One shows the entrance - but the other seems to be taken from the other end of the alley and shows the inside of the Court (the one showing a man apparently holding a gun but probably a broom).
                  Hello Robert

If the caption of the second photo is correct (Blood Alley- Scene of Jack the Ripper's Crime) then this is the only known photo of the houses in Millers Court.
                  Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Yes indeed Stephen.

The photographer would be standing right by the door of #13, where there seems to be some sort of dustbin - maybe used by the man with the broom.

Comment

Working...
                    X