Booth's STGITE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booth's STGITE

I paid a visit to the LSE Library this morning to have a look at one of the STGITE notebooks complied by Charles Booth's researchers in June, 1887. The focus of the survey was the economic situation of individual households. Unfortunately no names are mentioned, but it is very revealing about the level of prostitution in the streets near the London Docks.

Over on the Tiger Bay thread, I asked where all the riff-raff had gone when formerly notorious streets like Brunswick and Betts Streets had become respectable.

I think I now know the answer.

These are the streets in question, surveyed on 28/6/1887 by a Mr Dwane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	564414

This material is held at the LSE Library under the reference BOOTH/B/36

Breezer's Hill

Here's Breezer's Hill.

Only no. 2 is classified as a brothel, but the notes suggest that nos 1 and 4 may not have been exactly squeaky clean.

Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	557780

Comment

Pennington Street

Only part of Pennington Street (79 - 114) is included in this notebook. The following houses were identified as brothels:

Comment

Other Streets

Artichoke Hill had 5 brothels, John's Hill, 11 (nearly all German Girls) and Red Lion Court 1 (possibly 2).

But the pick of the crop was tiny Ship Alley with 14 brothels accommodating 80 'mainly foreign' girls 'the catch of sailors - a regular hell'.

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Gary! Excellent information.

Comment

Yes, thanks Gary.

Comment

I'm wondering if the 'drover' at no. 1 BH was Stephen Maywood. I didn't have him pegged as a brothel-keeper, but the note might suggest otherwise.

Comment

Thanks, Debs and Rob.

Apparently there's a vast amount of Booth material that hasn't been digitised. I can see myself making a return visit or two.

Comment

Ship Alley

In addition to its brothels, Ship Alley had a barber, a pub, a sweet shop and a lodging house. The Lodging house was not a brothel but it had a dining room where prostitutes dined with their clients.

Comment

Gary, I was going to ask what date they were but I just spotted the year 1887 in the first post. That's the year that Mary Ann McCarthy, daughter of Florence and Hannah was living at 79 Pennington St when she married Woodhouse, and Rose Hunt was a witness at the wedding.

Comment

"Ship Alley had a barber"

Anything for the weekend, sir? Or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

Comment

Another section of the notebook covered the area further to the north that included Berner Street :

Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	557781

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Gary, I was going to ask what date they were but I just spotted the year 1887 in the first post. That's the year that Mary Ann McCarthy, daughter of Florence and Hannah was living at 79 Pennington St when she married Woodhouse, and Rose Hunt was a witness at the wedding.
                          Mr Dwane seems to have carried out, or at least started, his survey on 28th June, 1887. Looks promising for her being MJK's 'Mrs' McCarthy, do you think?

I drew up a bit of a timeline for the 1, BH, 79, PS scenario, and I can't see 79 'officially' being thought of as in BH in 1886-8.

Of course, I was hoping to incriminate no. 3, but in 1887, at least, it doesn't seem to have been a brothel.

Comment

The notebook itself is tiny, about 8x4in, unlike the massive tome wherein old Foggy resides.

Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	557782

Comment

79, Pennington Street

Here's the page containing 79, PS. Unfortunately I cut the column headings off. They are: No./Rooms/Rent/Occupation/Wife/School/Under 3/Over 13/Wages/Position.

Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	557783

Comment

Working...
                              X