No announcement yet.

Booth's STGITE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think I found the right McCarthys then?

Comment

Another stick-tapper, Gary?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        Do you think I found the right McCarthys then?
        Could be, Debs. They seem a better fit than John and Rose.

But if it turns out that MJK never actually lived in BH, I will not be a happy bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          Another stick-tapper, Gary?
          Indeed. I went for a walk to Pennington St. this morning, via Spitalfields. When I got to the corner of Osborn Street and Whitechapel High Street, there was a very scruffy, bearded blind man tapping his way around the corner.

Did you see the photo of Henry Maywood? I think it's on the Victorian Attire thread on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Could be, Debs. They seem a better fit than John and Rose.

But if it turns out that MJK never actually lived in BH, I will not be a happy bunny.
            Pfff. I give up. Carry on G man

Comment

Pfff. I give up. Carry on G man
              My last comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure I've mentioned (at least a thousand times) before that I only got into the Ripper thing because my old nan was born in Breezer's Hill.

In my book, 79, PS is not Breezers Hill.

Comment

There's no place quite like Breezer's Hill.

"This is my street, and I'm never gonna leave it,
                And I'm always gonna stay if I live to be 99."

Comment

My last comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure I've mentioned (at least a thousand times) before that I only got into the Ripper thing because my old nan was born in Breezer's Hill.

I admit I don't understand the fixation with Breezer's Hill, Gary. I'd say at least 70% of the newspaper reports of Mrs Carthy/McCarthy/M'Carthy say MJK lived with her at Pennington St.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                    There's no place quite like Breezer's Hill.

"This is my street, and I'm never gonna leave it,
                    And I'm always gonna stay if I live to be 99."
                    'A dirty lot of the lowest class.'

Comment

No #1 BH. I think it's extraordinary that the same group of neighbours would move to the same area together.
                      Showing my ignorance here - when it was said that MJK moved to the Commercial Road after Pennington Street, could that have been the eastern end of it i.e. Limehouse?

Comment

Interestingly, Maywood's son ran the Enterprise pub in Three Colt Street, Limehouse and his (Stephen's) half-brother also had business connections in the area.

Comment

I'm planning to revisit the LSE Library, and with Tom's walk-through in hand have a closer look at Berner Street. And also, while I'm at it, the three streets (Brunswick, Henry, Everard) that had, together with Frederick Street, once constituted Tiger Bay.

Comment

Didn't we learn in an Old Bailey case I found, that 1 BH and 79 PS were so close a person could crawl out of the window of one and into the window of the next?

Gary, you may yet find more than all the rest of us. When something is personal we think deeper. (That's how the Voynich Manuscript became more than a puzzle to play with for me. I found some Polish, which is my heritage, and wanted to expand on it.)
                            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Showing my ignorance here - when it was said that MJK moved to the Commercial Road after Pennington Street, could that have been the eastern end of it i.e. Limehouse?
                              I was thinking of something that might pertain here. MJK's female friend in the Breezers Hill area was Lizzie Williams? That's a good Welsh name. Mrs. Phoenix/Felix said Mary's nationality was hard to pin down. Mary claimed Irish but it was found she was Welsh. WHO determined she was Welsh and how?

Then we have a press interview with a woman who roomed with Mary I think on Commercial Road, who said Mary spoke perfect Welsh. This woman is not identified by name. Could this have been Lizzie Williams? I know this is a lot of supposition but it's something I have been thinking about.

(In an aside, could Lizzie Williams the friend have anything to do with some thinking MJK was Lizzie Fischer or Tischer? Just a thought.)

How much actual area are we talking about from Limehouse to Breezers Hill to, say, Dorset Street? In miles or km on a straight line if possible? I cannot quite picture Limehouse on the map. How big was Limehouse in area, blocks, miles, etc?

Comment

If I had better resources I think something of interest to check out would be who OWNED various houses/buildings where Maywood and friends moved. Is there a connexion with a building owner? Maywood seemed to obtain some money at times. What did he own in Limehouse? What did his relatives own?

It appears some people moved back and forth to certain addresses, maybe not enough to establish a strong pattern, but it seems odd to me in a day when people moved frequently and didn't look back. What were connexions to addresses that caused neighbors to move near each other at the same times or that caused people to move back to rental places where they formerly lived.

Comment

Working...
                                X