No announcement yet.

Booth's STGITE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, and several newspaper reported initially that the murder of MJK was in Dorset Court, Spitalfields.

Comment

• There is another court in Dorset Street which I believe had Dwellings. On the northside near the Blue Coat Boy. I've never seen a name for this court on any map. I will double check when I get home.

Comment

• Thanks Rob

Comment

• Looking at this Goad Map from 1890 there are three courts on the north side New Court in the west, Miller's Court in the east and just next to Miller's Court is one that I've never seen a name for. There is one two storey dwelling house in that court. It is possible that could be Dorset Court but no way of being certain at this time.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks, Rob. I tried looking at the 1881/91 censuses but they go from New Court to Millers Court with nothing in between.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Thanks, Rob. I tried looking at the 1881/91 censuses but they go from New Court to Millers Court with nothing in between.
              Land tax records show nothing in between either. They go from New Court (1-3) then 32,31,30,29,28,27 Dorset Street, 1 to 6 Miller's Court then 26 Dorset Street

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

Land tax records show nothing in between either. They go from New Court (1-3) then 32,31,30,29,28,27 Dorset Street, 1 to 6 Miller's Court then 26 Dorset Street
                Hi Debs,

I think the whole strip of properties between 72/4 Brushfield Street and 28/9 Dorset Street were in the hands of E. Zuccani. The land tax records show a warehouse and stables at 72/4 Brushfield Street. I wonder if the court we’re looking at might have been considered a rear extension to 72/4 BS rather than 28/9 DS? There doesn’t appear to be access from BS, though, so probably not.

Gary

Comment

• I think Debs is right and that Dorset Court was just another name for Miller's Court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                    I think Debs is right and that Dorset Court was just another name for Miller's Court.
                    Thanks, Rob. That had been my assumption, but it’s always good to question assumptions.

Maria Harvey has proved to be a hard nut to crack. The woman of that name Debs found in the STGITE workhouse had 2 children, one with the same name and the same age as the boy who had the accident and another slightly younger. She was a washerwoman and gave an address in Station Place. In another record her son John gave 3, Northeast Passage as his address. Given the connections between Pennington Street/Breezers Hill and Station Place and the various case connections to NEP, that’s rather intriguing.

Comment

Thanks, Rob. That had been my assumption, but it’s always good to question assumptions.

Maria Harvey has proved to be a hard nut to crack. The woman of that name Debs found in the STGITE workhouse had 2 children, one with the same name and the same age as the boy who had the accident and another slightly younger. She was a washerwoman and gave an address in Station Place. In another record her son John gave 3, Northeast Passage as his address. Given the connections between Pennington Street/Breezers Hill and Station Place and the various case connections to NEP, that’s rather intriguing.
                      I wonder how long the Keylers had been at 2 Miller's Court? Harvey had only been at New Court a few days when Mary Kelly was murdered. I wonder where her children were when she was staying with Kelly?

Comment

I wonder how long the Keylers had been at 2 Miller's Court? Harvey had only been at New Court a few days when Mary Kelly was murdered. I wonder where her children were when she was staying with Kelly?
                        Perhaps John or William Harvey was the little boy who was assumed by at least one person, maybe more people to be MJK's child?

Comment

I think there were two households in 2MC in 1891.

As Debs pointed out, the kids of the workhouse Maria Harvey were sent to Leyton School (I think). I’ll check the dates again. It may be that they were there in November 1888.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif
                            Perhaps John or William Harvey was the little boy who was assumed by at least one person, maybe more, to be MJK's child?
                            Yes, Debs, that would explain those comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

Perhaps John or William Harvey was the little boy who was assumed by at least one person, maybe more people to be MJK's child?
                              Yes, you could be right.

Comment

I think there were two households in 2MC in 1891.
                                I was going to say that would be a bit cramped because of how small they were, but then I remembered several families being in 13 Miller's Court in 91 I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X