Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Robert.

Horse dealer, eh?

I bought an old Ilford map (OS 1894) which has part (W) of Ley Street on it, but there's no named Ley Street Farm that I can see.

Comment

Hi Gary

I think I've seen a map online where the, or a, farm is at the crossroads of Ley St, Eastern Avenue and Horns Rd, spreading east in the general direction of Southend.

Re Raby, Edward Charles Raby married Sophia Noding Nov 3rd 1886 SGITE. Both of their ages seem to be 70 but I think they must be 20, for there are two children born : Adelaide (Q3 SGITE) who I think must have been the window baby, and Edward Charles (Q3 1887 St Geo Hanover Sq, oddly).

Ripper trivia : Aaron's dog bit both Edward and Sophia, and thereafter suffered from Rabies.

Comment

It was Little Newbury Farm, rather than Ley Street Farm. Maywood was there in 1900. He acquired 30 carts and 10 sets of 'thill harnesses' from a company named Dick, Kerr, who had used them on a contract for the electric tramway at East Ham, and auctioned them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          Hi Gary

I think I've seen a map online where the, or a, farm is at the crossroads of Ley St, Eastern Avenue and Horns Rd, spreading east in the general direction of Southend.

Re Raby, Edward Charles Raby married Sophia Noding Nov 3rd 1886 SGITE. Both of their ages seem to be 70 but I think they must be 20, for there are two children born : Adelaide (Q3 SGITE) who I think must have been the window baby, and Edward Charles (Q3 1887 St Geo Hanover Sq, oddly).

Ripper trivia : Aaron's dog bit both Edward and Sophia, and thereafter suffered from Rabies.

St Geo H. Sq. would have included Millbank Prison...

Comment

Yes, Little Newbury Farm, Ley St was an address given IIRC.

Comment

A Sophia Raby was sentenced to 3 months hard labour in 1896 for running a 'disorderly house' at 1, Rich Street. She was described as a notorious character and her house as one of the worst in the neighbourhood.

Comment

In 1901, William and Rose Noding were living at 2, Gill Place, a short distance from Rich Street. Granddaughter Adelaide Raby was with them.

Comment

In 1896, an 'unfortunate' named Henrietta Stanley died of injuries allegedly sustained at 1, Rich Street. Before she died, she told her cousin that 'Rosie and two of her relatives had thrashed her and thrown her down the stairs' because she had not brought them any money.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                    In 1896, an 'unfortunate' named Henrietta Stanley died of injuries allegedly sustained at 1, Rich Street. Before she died, she told her cousin that 'Rosie and two of her relatives had thrashed her and thrown her down the stairs' because she had not brought them any money.
                    There was a very interesting piece about this incident in Reynolds Newspaper (23/8/1896) under the headline LIFE OF AN "UNFORTUNATE" .

It's a bit too big for me to post. Worth a read, though.

Comment

Yes Gary, I was just about to mention it when you posted about it.

In 1911 Adelaide Lawson's address is not given, but it's 2 pages from 1 Rich St.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Yes Gary, I was just about to mention it when you posted about it.

In 1911 Adelaide Lawson's address is not given, but it's 2 pages from 1 Rich St.
                        When I first saw it, I was thinking of one or two other Rosie's, but Sophie's mum looks a pretty good suspect.

Is she Sophie's daughter?

Comment

Yes, Adelaide married Henry Lawson 1906 and Sophia is living with them 27 Shepperd St in 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                            http://www.unsolved-murders.co.uk/mu...Hartney#browse

And on post 54 here Rob Clack has added a couple of interesting shots of the murder scene, one from 2010, and one from 1945 with the victim's body in-situ.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=129592

If anyone has any images of Rich Street as it might have looked in 1890, I'd love to see them.

Very coincidental that three of the photos in the first link are like JTR scenes ( Dutfields yard, Millers Court and Hanbury Street).
                            Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Very coincidental that three of the photos in the first link are like JTR scenes ( Dutfields yard, Millers Court and Hanbury Street).
                              Yes, Stephen I thought that. The one with body in-situ is a bit Buck's Row-ish too, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                                This looks like it, Gary. Sarah's maiden name was apparently McMannara and not Mack.
                                MAYWOOD, WILLIAM MACMANNARA
                                GRO Reference: 1889 D Quarter in STEPNEY Volume 01C Page 436
                                You were right, Debs. William was born on 4/10/1889 at 1, Rich Street, Limehouse.

Father Stephen Maywood, a horse dealer.

The informant was his mother Sarah, formerly Macmannara (that's how it looks), of 1, Rich Street.

Comment

Working...
                                X