St George in the East workhouse and infirmary records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
    Not a shop I think, more a processing unit.
    A shop according to the correspondents of the PMG.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

Any reference to Joseph Forsdyke/dike would be interesting.

He was admitted to the WH from the infirmary in Feb, 1889. I think he had been settled in St Georges for decades.
      All I could find was his admittance to SGE Infirmary on 29 January 1889 with bronchitis, He was discharged 8 Feb 89 to the WH. I couldn't find him in the Creed register or in the Feb 1889 settlement records.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

All I could find was his admittance to SGE Infirmary on 29 January 1889 with bronchitis, He was discharged 8 Feb 89 to the WH. I couldn't find him in the Creed register or in the Feb 1889 settlement records.
        Was there an address or any other info, Debs?

Comment

Was there an address or any other info, Debs?
          No, normally addresses are only in the creed registers in the SGE records. I did manage to find him in the WH creed register for February but his place admitted from was obviously 'the infirmary', I couldn't find him in the SGE Infirmary creed records because the page for the end of January was missing!

Comment

No, normally addresses are only in the creed registers in the SGE records. I did manage to find him in the WH creed register for February but his place admitted from was obviously 'the infirmary', I couldn't find him in the SGE Infirmary creed records because the page for the end of January was missing!
            It’s all a bit odd. He’s said to be ‘destitute’ in February,1889, then when he dies in Dec 1889 there is one address on his death cert and another on his burial records.

Thanks for looking anyway!

Comment

It’s all a bit odd. He’s said to be ‘destitute’ in February,1889, then when he dies in Dec 1889 there is one address on his death cert and another on his burial records.

Thanks for looking anyway!
              Did you ever solve the mystery of why 139 Cable St is on his burial record?

Comment

Did you ever solve the mystery of why 139 Cable St is on his burial record?
                No. I tried to find it in a Booth notebook earlier and failed. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. It was looking for the two Cable Street addresses in the note books that led me to the cats meat sheds. I must have walked past them a dozen times over the years without realising what they had once been.

Comment

No. I tried to find it in a Booth notebook earlier and failed. I’ll give it another go tomorrow. It was looking for the two Cable Street addresses in the note books that led me to the cats meat sheds. I must have walked past them a dozen times over the years without realising what they had once been.
                  I couldn't see anything either. you probably saw this too; 138 came up in a search but not 139. 138 was premises with a boiler suitable for a pork butcher or similar according to an 1886 advert and inquiries about the Cable St building were directed towards 10 Christian Street -where a carman lived.

But in 1889 138 was occupied by dressmaker, Mrs Brooks.

Comment

I couldn't see anything either. you probably saw this too; 138 came up in a search but not 139. 138 was premises with a boiler suitable for a pork butcher or similar according to an 1886 advert and inquiries about the Cable St building were directed towards 10 Christian Street -where a carman lived.
                    Yes, and FMP has the advert for the pork butcher’s premises transcribed as 139!!!

Different sections of Cable Street appear in various notebooks, but not as far as I can see the bit that includes 139.

The more I think about it, the more unlikely it seems that anyone carried the Pinchin St Torso on their shoulder for any distance. Perhaps there was a cart or barrow involved and no one heard it, but if not, then I think the body was kept somewhere very close to arch.

This photo in the next post shows both arches. I found a street view that showed a bit of the interior of the 6/8 premises yesterday, but now can’t find it. It was just a glimpse of a flagged/granite sett floor, but it sent a shiver down my spine.

Comment

Comment

Here’s something to mull over: the 1887 Electorals show a William Fleming occupying a dwelling house at 6, Backchurch Lane.

Comment

And Simon Abraham in 1885

Comment

This is really odd, Debs. The 1891 census shows 4/6/8 as unoccupied houses. 4 probably was, but 6&8?

Comment

Working...
                            X