Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Israel Goldstein

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Israel Goldstein

    This may already be known.

    In 1887, Charles Booth's researcher identified the caretaker of the IWEC, living at 40, Berner Street, as a married man with 4 children of school age and one under a year old. He was a Jew, 'supposedly a tailor' and carried out 1b work (I've no idea either). No name was provided.

    In 1888, another of Booth's researchers recorded a tailor named Goldstein at 40, BS. The grade 1B2 was recorded and he was described as a Gen(eral) T(ailor).

    The 1891 census shows a Polish-born tailor named Israel Goldstein living at 40, BS. He is married with 5 children, ages 17, 11, 8, 6 and 2. His mother and brother-in-law are also part of the household as are two boarders, one of whom is shown as occupying 3 rooms. The number of rooms occupied by the Goldsteins is not shown, which suggests it was at least 5. Quite a substantial household.

    The age of the youngest child doesn't match*, but otherwise Izzy G looks promising as the club's 1888 caretaker.

    *My error, the youngest was ‘under 3’ so it does match.

  • #2
    As an aside, in the 1888 Tailors survey it is recorded that many of the STGITE tailors south of Cable Street were German, with some Irish and a few Jews. The Irish were reckoned the best.

    Comment


    • #3
      Living Plumbers Row in 81. Not to be confused with the IG who got 10 years in the jug in 84.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Living Plumbers Row in 81. Not to be confused with the IG who got 10 years in the jug in 84.
        And still at 40, BS in 1901 I think.

        Comment


        • #5
          It looks like it, Gary.

          Comment


          • #6
            After a lively night at the club, who would have been responsible for clearing up, putting the chairs etc back in place? The caretaker, presumably. And might he not have enlisted the help of a gentile woman to do so?

            Comment


            • #7
              I see where you're going with this, Gary, but considering that the club members weren't doing anything religious I don't see why Liz would have been expected to stand outside till they'd finished, unless she wanted to for whatever reason.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                I see where you're going with this, Gary, but considering that the club members weren't doing anything religious I don't see why Liz would have been expected to stand outside till they'd finished, unless she wanted to for whatever reason.
                Perhaps a Jewish anarchist singsong with ditties about cutting the Czar's throat wasn't her idea of a fun night out, but once things had died down she might have been happy to sweep the floor for a few coppers.

                Who knows, she may have been Izzy's regular Shabbas Goy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That reminds me, did you see Alec Schwarz there on one of the censuses?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Liz was said to have visited a friend, an ex-prostitute, in 'Tiger Bay' shortly before she was killed, wasnt she? I'm not sure whether it has been established whether that could have been on the night of her murder.

                    I recall finding a record in Booth's STGITE book of a woman, an ex-prostitute, who was working as a cleaner for prostitutes in that area. No name, as per, but neither was there for Izzy and it seems we've identified him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      That reminds me, did you see Alec Schwarz there on one of the censuses?
                      No, I didn't. I'll go back and look.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Israel’s daughter Amelia was enrolled at Berner Street school in April, 1888 - home address 40, BS. She transferred to Settles Street school in March, 1892 - same home address.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                          No, I didn't. I'll go back and look.
                          Blind in one eye?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's right. He scored over Mrs Poyminster by 100%!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                              This may already be known.

                              In 1887, Charles Booth's researcher identified the caretaker of the IWEC, living at 40, Berner Street, as a married man with 4 children of school age and one under a year old. He was a Jew, 'supposedly a tailor' and carried out 1b work (I've no idea either). No name was provided.

                              In 1888, another of Booth's researchers recorded a tailor named Goldstein at 40, BS. The grade 1B2 was recorded and he was described as a Gen(eral) T(ailor).

                              The 1891 census shows a Polish-born tailor named Israel Goldstein living at 40, BS. He is married with 5 children, ages 17, 11, 8, 6 and 2. His mother and brother-in-law are also part of the household as are two boarders, one of whom is shown as occupying 3 rooms. The number of rooms occupied by the Goldsteins is not shown, which suggests it was at least 5. Quite a substantial household.

                              The age of the youngest child doesn't match, but otherwise Izzy G looks promising as the club's 1888 caretaker.
                              I’ve just spotted an error here, the youngest child in 1887 was ‘under 3’ not under a year old. So the 6-year-old in 1891 does match. There’s one child missing in 1891 - perhaps it died of a surfeit of ice cream or one of the other dangers of 1880s Berner Street.

                              What has amazed me is how little interest has been shown in Izzy G. Unless I’ve got it wrong, it looks like he may have been the caretaker of the club In 1888. Not the steward, that was the endlessly-discussed Diemschutz, but the caretaker, the man responsible for the maintenance/cleanliness of the building. The person who might have employed a gentile charwoman to help tidy up after a lively night.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X