Station Place, Shadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station Place, Shadwell

Although it was but a poor and squalid passage, with little houses on one side and railway arches on the other, it Station Place was described in 1904 as the wickedest street in London. (Move over Dorset Street.)

Debs discovered a woman named Maria Harvey in the STGITE workhouse/infirmary who gave SP as a previous address and that inspired me to look more closely at the Place, which had been on the periphery of my interest for some time.

This report is interesting because it introduces us to the Noddings, a notorious family who ran at least one brothel in SP, and it concerns Sophia Raby, described as a daughter of the renowned Noddings

In the report it seems Sophe has had her marching orders from SP and is off to seek fresh fields and pastures new. And I think I know where, because a year or so later she was running a brothel at 1, Rich Street, Limehouse - said to be one of the most notorious in the district. And as we know, prior to Sophes incumbency, 1, Rich Street was in the hands of one Stephen Maywood, formerly of Breezers Hill.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B2F7F6EA-047B-496E-8EA3-E241A86CD99E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	564553

Lloyds 30th October, 1892

*Actually in STGITE, but close to Shadwell Station.

Nuddy Noddings

This, from May, 1892, seems a suitable introduction to the Nodding clan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	751B94A4-88B7-4320-8E36-77224DDEC529.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	559072

Comment

Emily Edith Smith

Here’s a Casebook thread about the EES attack (alleged):

https://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=1463

This incident has interested me for some time because Emily’s family home was in Bingfield Street, Islington, a short walk from the knacker’s yards of Belle Isle. My family were living in Bingfield Street at this time.

Comment

I did also read about Sept 1888 violence between two residents of Station Place that resulted in one woman being glassed by the other and sustaining injuries that involved scalp wounds and a badly cut finger, causing permanent damage. The victim ended up in hospital. I remembered it because the injuries reminded me of the kind of wound we sometimes look out for in hospital records when looking for possible other JTR related attacks.

Comment

Station Place v. Shovel Alley

Here’s Rosina Nodding chivving one Norah Donovan of Shovel Alley. Debs will remember the census entry where a Norah Donovan of Shovel Alley confided that her grandmother had been borned in Ireland. (Probably the daughter of the victim here.)

This is of particular interest to me because my Shovel Alley family had connections to Cornwall Street near SP.

Keep Rosie in mind, we may meet her again in Limehouse.

Name:	78609723-7A31-4EBD-B5C2-F9C7CA00FB04.jpeg
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	559073

From Reynolds 1st December, 1889

Comment

Sophe in Bluegate Fields

I haven’t worked out the family tree yet, but Sophia Raby is a rather unusual name and the lady in this case was running a brothel in Bluegate Fields, just to the south of Station Place, so there’s got to be some connection:

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...3-66#highlight

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
              I did also read about Sept 1888 violence between two residents of Station Place that resulted in one woman being glassed by the other and sustaining injuries that involved scalp wounds and a badly cut finger, causing permanent damage. The victim ended up in hospital. I remembered it because the injuries reminded me of the kind of wound we sometimes look out for in hospital records when looking for possible other JTR related attacks.
              That’s interesting, Debs. I’ll keep an eye open for that. I’m still on the hunt for Caroline Coals, BTW.

I’ve been aware of the Rabys for some time, but this Nodding lot are a new to me. Others may enjoy trying to link MJK to such luminaries as Whistler and Oscar Wilde, I prefer the subterranean route via the sewers of Shadwell, Limehouse etc.��

Comment

Of course, although it’s frequently described as being in Shadwell, SP was actually In STGITE.

There was a gymnasium in one of its railway arches where boxing matches were staged.

Comment

They seem to be all nid-nid-nodding in Station-place.

George Augustus Sala

Comment

A Sophia Noding married Edward Charles Raby in STGITE in Dec Q 1886.

Comment

The Worst Family in London

From Reynolds 4th January, 1891:

Name:	4D386BEE-E128-4561-A6B9-E0A49BD0F4DE.jpeg
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	559074

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                        I’ve been aware of the Rabys for some time, but this Nodding lot are a new to me. Others may enjoy trying to link MJK to such luminaries as Whistler and Oscar Wilde, I prefer the subterranean route via the gutters of Shadwell, Limehouse etc.😇
                        Me too, Gary. Keeping it real IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Me too, Gary. Keeping it real IMHO.
                          At the other extreme we have those who see Kelly as on a par with the semi-vagrant lodging house women who would sell themselves for a few pence in a dark alley. Only recently someone was doubting that she would have entertained a client, including singing to him, in her room in Millers Court.

Singing, dancing and charging an arm and a leg for an overnight stay and rotgut whisky was very much the business model in the Highway.

Comment

Henrietta Stanley 1/2

This is from Reynolds of 23/8/1896. I had misremembered that Stanley died of pleurisy rather from her injuries. Still, being thrown down the stairs by ‘Rosie’ and co probably didn’t help.

Name:	1DD7AF0C-B168-428C-989D-C0F407ACB5E2.jpeg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	559075

Comment

Henrietta Stanley 2/2

Name:	0B2D18C2-153D-495A-974F-8036A451A14F.jpeg
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	559076