• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post

Thar is fascinating, Gary!
    I find it fascinating, even though, as I say, I’m sceptical about anything supernatural.

Some of the Locke names sound very exotic - a couple named Ephraim and Sabina for example - but the Lockes seem to have been settled agricultural workers in Suffolk for generations.

At one time my grandparents were members of a spiritualist church and hosted seances. My grandmother had a spirit guide who was a French nun...

It has to have been some kind of a scam, surely?

Leave a comment:

• Anna Morris
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    I’ve been hunting for a photo of Bogard for years. My first post on the forums was about him.

The author of the blog has also written about prominent English gypsy families. One of them is the Locke family. My gg grandfather William Locke was murdered on the Isle of dogs while out with his donkey and cart selling scraps of firewood. His daughter, Martha, who witnessed the incident, told fortunes - read tea leaves etc - and was of gypsy heritage according to family legend. A cousin, now aged 80, still has the ‘gift’, which was passed down the female line.

I’m a complete sceptic myself, but it’s a great tradition.
    Thar is fascinating, Gary!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I’ve been hunting for a photo of Bogard for years. My first post on the forums was about him.

The author of the blog has also written about prominent English gypsy families. One of them is the Locke family. My gg grandfather William Locke was murdered on the Isle of dogs while out with his donkey and cart selling scraps of firewood. His daughter, Martha, who witnessed the incident, told fortunes - read tea leaves etc - and was of gypsy heritage according to family legend. A cousin, now aged 80, still has the ‘gift’, which was passed down the female line.

I’m a complete sceptic myself, but it’s a great tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    This is amazing! Not least because it contains a photo of Isaac ‘Ikey’ Bogard, Arthur Harding’s great rival.

Thanks, How.

---------------------------------------------

My pleasure, Gary

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    started a topic Bethnal Green Tales ( Blog )

Bethnal Green Tales ( Blog )

Bethnal Green Tales

https://www.richedmunds.co.uk/post/b...7nblnxIZ4qKtDI
Working...
X