Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this why John Satchell’s business didn’t thrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this why John Satchell’s business didn’t thrive?

These three incidents are all from 1888.
    Attached Files

It seems likely it was the same Jeremiah McCarthy involved in all of these incidents. He’s a man we’ve come across before and he often had a woman named Margaret Sullivan by his side. But here’s his previous from 1899. It shows his 1888 conviction for the attack on Harris, for which he got 5 years, but not the other two, unless they are the two summary convictions for assault that are mentioned.
    Attached Files

Comment

1888 was a tough year for Satchell.
      Attached Files

Comment

The classic view of Northeast Passage. Joe Barnett lived there at one time, as did Pearly Poll and her vicious blind husband, Tommy Fogarty. I think it was Rob Clack who identified this photo as being of NEP by comparison to press sketches that named it as such.
        Attached Files

Comment

I convinced myself - and remain convinced - that the Jeremiah McCarthy who blinded John Harris was the ‘pseudo husband’ of the Margaret Sullivan who went on to legally marry William Crossingham.

The evidence for that can be found on this long and typically rambling thread:

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...4-mog-sullivan

Comment

Jeremiah and Margaret were based for a while in Artichoke Hill the the next Pennington Street ‘Hill’ along (E) from Breezer’s Hill. In 1886, Jeremiah’s brother, Michael, was at that address. The interesting thing about this report is that the injured woman indicated to the police that her assailant had gone into Mayfields Buildings (Shovel Alley).
            Attached Files

Comment

NE Passage ran from the NE corner of Wellclose Square to Cable Street. This incident occurred in Wellclose Square in April, 1887.

Attached Files

Comment

Some interesting research on Satchell here:

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...satchell/page2

Comment

Here’s an 1887 incident involving Jeremiah McCarthy and Margaret Sullivan. One of those stabbed, Timothy Driscoll, was apparently an associate of McCarthy and lived at 4, Northeast Passage.

Attached Files

Comment

I think there is another thread somewhere on Satchell. I remember looking into him in some detail
                    I think he moved out to Leyton and died in a workhouse.
                    Satchell was hardly a Lord of Spitalfields.
                    I'm sure casual violence was a regular occurrence at most of these establishments.

I just realised the details about Satchell are on the first page of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                      I think there is another thread somewhere on Satchell. I remember looking into him in some detail
                      I think he moved out to Leyton and died in a workhouse.
                      Satchell was hardly a Lord of Spitalfields.
                      I'm sure casual violence was a regular occurrence at most of these establishments.

I just realised the details about Satchell are on the first page of this thread.
                      This isn’t just casual violence, though, this is a particularly nasty ‘terror’ seemingly targeting a local business. I doubt the likes of Jeremiah McCarthy would have tugged their forelock in deference to any ‘Lord’.

The Satchells seem to have been something of a lath rending dynasty. I’m not surprised JS preferred to be described thus rather than as a dosshouse keeper or a publican.
                      Attached Files

Comment

There’s a lot of repetition here, but the suggestion that Satchell was plagued by McCarthy and his gang is new and very interesting. In 1899, Jeremiah and Michael McCarthy robbed a sailor in Dorset Street. I wonder if that was a case of Jerry sticking two fingers up to Maggie and her husband.

Comment

It’s unfortunate that no addresses were given for the members of the gang who ran riot at John Satchell’s Northeast Passage establishment. If the Jeremiah McCarthy and Margaret Sullivan who were involved had been linked to Artichoke Hill, any element of doubt that she was the future Mrs Crossingham would have been removed. Their ages would have been useful, too.

There was another Margaret Sullivan who caused havoc in Northeast Passage 1888, but she was a 51-year-old married woman who at the time was resident there. She doesn’t fit the description of someone who wasn’t a customer of Satchell’s and who was part of a group that preyed on sailors.

The report below is from The Magnet of 16th July, 1888.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Trawling through the Thames Police Court registers, I found a few entries for a JMcC and a MS of the right age. The ages were spot on for the disturbance at Satchell’s, so it looks like it was our couple who were involved.

I also spotted a few for men named John Thurling/Thurley. My great, great great and great great great grandfathers all had the same name - John Thurling. Only the great switched between -ling and -ley.

Great great appears to have stolen 100 bags in 1887. I’ve no idea what kind of bags.

Comment

You don’t have to take my word that Jeremiah McCarthy was a vicious thug. This is from the East London Observer of 27th April, 1889.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X