Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this why John Satchell’s business didn’t thrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Jeremiah and Margaret were based for a while in Artichoke Hill the the next Pennington Street ‘Hill’ along (E) from Breezer’s Hill. In 1886, Jeremiah’s brother, Michael, was at that address. The interesting thing about this report is that the injured woman indicated to the police that her assailant had gone into Mayfields Buildings (Shovel Alley).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I convinced myself - and remain convinced - that the Jeremiah McCarthy who blinded John Harris was the ‘pseudo husband’ of the Margaret Sullivan who went on to legally marry William Crossingham.

The evidence for that can be found on this long and typically rambling thread:

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...4-mog-sullivan

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    The classic view of Northeast Passage. Joe Barnett lived there at one time, as did Pearly Poll and her vicious blind husband, Tommy Fogarty. I think it was Rob Clack who identified this photo as being of NEP by comparison to press sketches that named it as such.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    1888 was a tough year for Satchell.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    It seems likely it was the same Jeremiah McCarthy involved in all of these incidents. He’s a man we’ve come across before and he often had a woman named Margaret Sullivan by his side. But here’s his previous from 1899. It shows his 1888 conviction for the attack on Harris, for which he got 5 years, but not the other two, unless they are the two summary convictions for assault that are mentioned.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Is this why John Satchell’s business didn’t thrive?

These three incidents are all from 1888.
    Attached Files
Working...
X