Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this why John Satchell’s business didn’t thrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
    It strikes me that the court registers would be a useful source for police activity - eg to get a view of Mizen, Neil, Thane, Amos Simpson (perhaps).
    Good thinking, Batman.

I’m planning to go back to the LMA and work my way through the registers. One thing I must have missed somehow was the 1888 conviction of Sarah Maywood for stealing a fiver from a man called Thoning. There may be other stuff I missed.

I’ll go through each volume carefully and make a note of every item that contains an interesting name. I skipped past a number of Nodding entries last time.

There were numerous Nodding, McCarthy, Sullivan, Kelly, Stride etc entries in the accused column. I didn’t really focus on the complainant one.

Leave a comment:

• Edward Stow
    replied
    It strikes me that the court registers would be a useful source for police activity - eg to get a view of Mizen, Neil, Thane, Amos Simpson (perhaps).

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I don’t know that I’d necessarily use the word systematically, but Satchell complained his business was being harmed by the gang’s activities. He also had a few problems in George Street in 1888, as we know, and shortly after that annus horribilis he went to work for the Oylers.

Is it too far-fetched that there might have been a connection?

I don’t have a theory about this. My interest is primarily in Maggie and Jerry in the Highway, and later her interaction with Billy Maher. I’m sure you’ll remember there was said to have been and old grudge between them.

I love the contrast between the image of the very large woman dressed in mauve broché silk and carrying a bouquet of mauve sweet peas and white roses at her daughter’s wedding and her younger version as the girlfriend of the ‘wild beast’ Jerry McCarthy.

Leave a comment:

• Edward Stow
    replied
    Are you suggesting that Jeremiah Mccarthy's violence systematically put Satchell out of business?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    When John Satchell died in 1915, it was said that he had been the deputy of St Thomas’ Chambers in Heneage Street for 25 years. So it seems that at some point ca 1890 he had gone from being a business owner to an employee of the Oylers, the most prominent Lodging House owners in the East End.

What was behind this change in his fortune?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    It’s amazing what snippets of info you can pick up from records like the Thames Police Court registers. Here are the entries for the crowd involved in the rearrangement of John Satchell’s furniture.

The ages of Jerry and Maggie are helpful, as is the fact that they had the same informant/complainant, presumably their arresting police officer, D. Bostick 298H. That suggests to me they were arrested at the same location, quite possibly at an address in Artichoke Hill.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    You don’t have to take my word that Jeremiah McCarthy was a vicious thug. This is from the East London Observer of 27th April, 1889.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Trawling through the Thames Police Court registers, I found a few entries for a JMcC and a MS of the right age. The ages were spot on for the disturbance at Satchell’s, so it looks like it was our couple who were involved.

I also spotted a few for men named John Thurling/Thurley. My great, great great and great great great grandfathers all had the same name - John Thurling. Only the great switched between -ling and -ley.

Great great appears to have stolen 100 bags in 1887. I’ve no idea what kind of bags.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied

It’s unfortunate that no addresses were given for the members of the gang who ran riot at John Satchell’s Northeast Passage establishment. If the Jeremiah McCarthy and Margaret Sullivan who were involved had been linked to Artichoke Hill, any element of doubt that she was the future Mrs Crossingham would have been removed. Their ages would have been useful, too.

There was another Margaret Sullivan who caused havoc in Northeast Passage 1888, but she was a 51-year-old married woman who at the time was resident there. She doesn’t fit the description of someone who wasn’t a customer of Satchell’s and who was part of a group that preyed on sailors.

The report below is from The Magnet of 16th July, 1888.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    There’s a lot of repetition here, but the suggestion that Satchell was plagued by McCarthy and his gang is new and very interesting. In 1899, Jeremiah and Michael McCarthy robbed a sailor in Dorset Street. I wonder if that was a case of Jerry sticking two fingers up to Maggie and her husband.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
    I think there is another thread somewhere on Satchell. I remember looking into him in some detail
    I think he moved out to Leyton and died in a workhouse.
    Satchell was hardly a Lord of Spitalfields.
    I'm sure casual violence was a regular occurrence at most of these establishments.

I just realised the details about Satchell are on the first page of this thread.
    This isn’t just casual violence, though, this is a particularly nasty ‘terror’ seemingly targeting a local business. I doubt the likes of Jeremiah McCarthy would have tugged their forelock in deference to any ‘Lord’.

The Satchells seem to have been something of a lath rending dynasty. I’m not surprised JS preferred to be described thus rather than as a dosshouse keeper or a publican.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Edward Stow
    replied
    I think there is another thread somewhere on Satchell. I remember looking into him in some detail
    I think he moved out to Leyton and died in a workhouse.
    Satchell was hardly a Lord of Spitalfields.
    I'm sure casual violence was a regular occurrence at most of these establishments.

I just realised the details about Satchell are on the first page of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Here’s an 1887 incident involving Jeremiah McCarthy and Margaret Sullivan. One of those stabbed, Timothy Driscoll, was apparently an associate of McCarthy and lived at 4, Northeast Passage.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Some interesting research on Satchell here:

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...satchell/page2

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    NE Passage ran from the NE corner of Wellclose Square to Cable Street. This incident occurred in Wellclose Square in April, 1887.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X