Mapping the East End ‘Labyrinth’ by Dr Laura Vaughan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hutch, the New Maybrick ?

Millers Court was just two turnings away from Commercial Street, which contained workshops and tailoring establishments, employing the skilled and semi‐skilled inhabitants of the area.

I always hesitate to bring ol' GH into a discussion, as he seems to set off.....well, you know.

A question, though, raised by the point above.

We've all rolled our eyes at least once at GH's Toff, and wondered how someone dressed like that could have dared to promenade around Dorset Street, especially late at night.

Two things popped to mind when I read the above, however.

1) GH's Astrakan Man might have been a tailor. (I assume that a tailoring establishment wouldn't have been open at that hour. Is that a fair assumption ? Were any open 24 hours ? I want to rule out that he was a customer.)

2) AM wasn't walking around the Heart of Darkness until he turned off Commercial Street. Maybe we have to think about how much danger he was really in.

Comment

Hello Sir Robert,
      Just to let you know, the Laura Vaughan piece is from Jack the Ripper and the East End, the book that was published in association with the Docklands exhibit.

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
        Just to let you know, the Laura Vaughan piece is from Jack the Ripper and the East End, the book that was published in association with the Docklands exhibit.
        It's an earlier draft, I believe, John - although I don't know whether it has more, or less, material in it than the version that eventually ended up in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobertAnderson View Post
          Millers Court was just two turnings away from Commercial Street, which contained workshops and tailoring establishments, employing the skilled and semi‐skilled inhabitants of the area.

Two things popped to mind when I read the above, however.

1) GH's Astrakan Man might have been a tailor
          I think the words "semi-skilled" is a hint as to the sorts of tailors' establishments that might have been found in that area, Rob.
          I assume that a tailoring establishment wouldn't have been open at that hour. Is that a fair assumption ? Were any open 24 hours ?
          Tailors in East End sweatshops might have worked over 16 hours a day, although hardly in the capacity of "salesmen on the shop floor". They were more galley-slaves (we're not talking about "gentlemen's outfitters" here), and worked in incredibly cramped and insanitary conditions.

Whether such sweatshops were in operation on Commercial Street in 1888 I don't know offhand, but the practice of "sweating" was still an issue in the East End at that time - indeed, there was a well-publicised strike of sweated tailors the following year (1889), which demanded:

1. A reduction in working hours to a maximum of 12;

2. A cessation of the practice of sweatshop proprietors giving employees extra work to take home with them;

3. Lunch breaks - and the right to eat one's lunch off the premises!

Interestingly, the Berner Street Club and its members (in person and in print - Arbeter Fraynt included) played an important role in promoting and publicising the strike, with Woolf Wess particularly prominent in his support of the sweated workers.

Comment

Hi ho

IN an attempt to bring the thread back on track somewhat (not denigrating the side raods it has taken!), its when you look at things like this:

http://perseus.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/A...havez_VSMM.pdf

one realises how insular Ripperology has become, how it has refused to employ the latest tools and, possibly, how its reputation as a refuge for the odd has kept it from integrating with the fields that could actually take it towards something resembling an actual knowledgeable field.

p

Comment

Very interesting Mr P

I like that software

Comment

Me too Nemo.

What a pity that instead of wallowing in a shithole of their own making, Ripperologists couldnt get their collective thumbs out and approach perhaps a funding body with a concrete proposal, in collaboration with professionals, to develop such a resource for both the Whitechapel area and the Ripper murders.

Instead of endlessly circling the same old carcasses.

p

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
                  Not sure what you are saying there Sam

Are you saying that the Jewish residents did not partake/infrequently partook of the women's favours?

Let's say the Ripper WAS an antisemitic local hanging around Dorset St - he would only have to see Kelly,Chapman and possibly Nichols fraternising with the Jews

He may have come across Liz Stride seemingly soliciting by the Jewish club to become enraged

Same with Eddowes - seemingly soliciting in Duke St near the Jewish club...
                  Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  I'm saying I don't know that they did, Nemo - nor how frequently. I suspect that such "cross-cultural" encounters did go on, albeit comparatively infrequently compared with "gentile-to-gentile contact" I'd have to check first before being able to assert as much, certainly before speculating or reading too much meaning into my supposition.
                  Hi Nemo, Sam,

What may be more relevant here, than attempting to compile actual data on Jewish v Gentile sexual habits in the LVP, is the perception of the typical bigot, who throughout history has seen what he wants to see, whether it leads him to put all the blame on a fallen woman for her plight; to blame all Jewish immigrants as the men who would steal the living from under his nose, take the bread from his children's mouths, or snatch the women he feels entitled to screw; or to justify the wholesale murder and mutilation of 'whores' on the basis of what he could perceive was their willingness to service those thieving Jews, sexually or otherwise.

I actually think the bigger picture would allow us to see that something extremely similar could go on today, in areas of good old England currently 'flooded' with Poles, because whatever laws are brought in to tackle society's fear and loathing of groups who are 'different', and however tolerant each new generation becomes towards Johnny foreigner, serial killers will still play the game according to their own rules.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Working...
                  X