Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harrison Barber—Horse Slaughterers

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gary
    In 1911 Thomas Allen was living in Corfield Street - much nearer Harts.
    His wife - who lived in Pereira Street for a while near the Tarbucks - died with him in the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster.
    On the Stairway to Heaven memorial there are going to be conicals (not sure what they will look like) on the wooden top part - one conical per victim. To help pay for the memorial the conicals are being sponsored at £200 a go. About 20 still have to be sponsored. All three Lechmeres have been sponsored and both Hitchinsons (Toppies grandkids). I noticed that Louisa Tarbuck hasn't been sponsored yet.

    Anyway this Sunday there is a guided walk around Mile End supported by the Whitechapel Society and Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust to raise funds.
    See details in Whitechapel Society section.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
      Gary
      In 1911 Thomas Allen was living in Corfield Street - much nearer Harts.
      His wife - who lived in Pereira Street for a while near the Tarbucks - died with him in the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster.
      On the Stairway to Heaven memorial there are going to be conicals (not sure what they will look like) on the wooden top part - one conical per victim. To help pay for the memorial the conicals are being sponsored at £200 a go. About 20 still have to be sponsored. All three Lechmeres have been sponsored and both Hitchinsons (Toppies grandkids). I noticed that Louisa Tarbuck hasn't been sponsored yet.

      Anyway this Sunday there is a guided walk around Mile End supported by the Whitechapel Society and Stairway to Heaven Memorial Trust to raise funds.
      See details in Whitechapel Society section.
      I notice on here that the victim George Tarbuck's mother's initial is shown as P. Is it the same man as the Pereira Street GT, whose mother's name was Mary?

      http://www.bgmemorial.org.uk/index.p...r/victims-list

      Comment


      • I didn't check - I took your word for it that they were related!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
          I didn't check - I took your word for it that they were related!
          His parents would have been long dead by 1943, perhaps the P. was some other female family member who went down as next of kin.

          Am I right in thinking someone has already sponsored George's 'cone'?

          Comment


          • I will look into that family.

            Yes the only 'spare' Tarbuck 'conical' is for Louisa who was I think his wife.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
              I will look into that family.

              Yes the only 'spare' Tarbuck 'conical' is for Louisa who was I think his wife.
              George Tarbucks were pretty thin on the ground. I could only find one of the right age in the whole of London and that was Mark's brother. The man who died in the tube disaster lived at nearby Pott Street. On another site it was suggested they were one and the same. His marriage cert would help, but I suspect it was a Catholic marriage. The Pereira Street boy went to St. Anne's R. C. School.

              Edit: I forgot to mention his army record: Address Sceptre Street, the same as the mother of the victim, and his father's name was Mark.

              Comment


              • Charles Lechmere had a shop in Sceptre Street briefly.

                Comment


                • The Lechmere connection?

                  Charles Lechmere's son, Thomas, seems to have followed in his father's footsteps, starting work around 1891 as a carman's vanguard and becoming a carman himself by 1898, the year in which he married. Up to that point there was no mention of meat being the load he carried. As far as I can see, there is no record of meat in connection with his father's occupation.

                  Once Thomas had married and left his parental home, he started describing himself as a meat carter/salesman. The notes 'cats' and 'catsmeat' made by census officials tell us precisely what Thomas was carrying. The earliest reference I can find to this is on the birth certificate of his daughter Dorothy who was born in 1900. There Thomas describes himself as a 'meat salesman'. His address at the time appears to be 4, WINTHROP STREET.

                  I'd say it's a reasonable assumption that Thomas Lechmere was carting cats' meat from Harrison Barber's premises in WINTHROP STREET. And it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that that was where his old gran sourced her cat's meat.

                  Charles Lechmere

                  1870: Carman
                  1871: Carman
                  1881: Carman
                  1882: Carman
                  1884: Carman
                  1886: Carman
                  1888: Carman
                  1891: Carman
                  1901: Railway Agent Carrier (Carman)
                  1911: General shop & sweetstuff


                  Thomas Lechmere

                  1891: Vanguard (carman)
                  1898: Carman

                  Marries and leaves parental home

                  1900: Meat Salesman - WINTHROP STREET
                  1901: Meat Carter (cats)
                  1902: Meat Salesman
                  1911: Meat Carter (catsmeat)

                  Comment


                  • That's interesting. I shall have to take a closer look at Thomas Allen. Is it definitely Winthrop and not Wilmot?

                    If he worked for Harrison Barbers then it is somewhat odd that his son dealt with dodgy old Hart.

                    Comment


                    • I think so, Ed. The W looks a bit like a D but the rest is clearly 'inthrop'. I've never heard of a Dinthrop Street, so I think it must be Winthrop.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	556660

                      Funny that he describes himself as a salesman on the christening records but a carter (worker) on the censuses. I couldn't find the christening record for his eldest son, Thomas, born 1899, That would be interesting.

                      I notice he (Thomas Jr) was awarded the George Cross. Do you know why?

                      Comment


                      • I'm not sure how legit HB's operation in Winthrop Street was. I imagine Mr. Harrison had his work cut out to mould the various cultures and practices he inherited into a single efficient (and respectable) operation.

                        This is from The Daily News of 6th Feb., 1889:

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	556661

                        Comment


                        • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cbo8I-okHg

                          Comment


                          • The younger Thomas also died in the Bethnal Green Tube disaster and it is mostly relatives through that line that I know.
                            I think I have his birth certificate somewhere.
                            He won a Cross of St George 4th Class - a White Russian Tsarist award - along with a Military Medal in the Petrograd campaign in 1919, while with the Royal Armoured Corps - with tanks anyway. Before being called up he worked on the railways in Bow.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
                              The younger Thomas also died in the Bethnal Green Tube disaster and it is mostly relatives through that line that I know.
                              I think I have his birth certificate somewhere.
                              He won a Cross of St George 4th Class - a White Russian Tsarist award - along with a Military Medal in the Petrograd campaign in 1919, while with the Royal Armoured Corps - with tanks anyway. Before being called up he worked on the railways in Bow.
                              Yes, I'm sure you mentioned that before. I got the info from Ancestry, here:


                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	556663

                              Any idea where that might have come from? Would there be a similar notice for George Tarbuck I wonder?

                              Comment


                              • I've never seen that before.
                                I met Thomas Charles's wife - she died in 1990. She lived off Globe Road behind Stepney Green Station.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X