Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologies for the lack of attribution. 1860s from memory. Two decades of regulation later and after the creation of the Monopoly, I don't see there being a lot of raw horse meat around in the Metropolitan area in the 1880s.

Comment

• Enough spare for an enterprising business woman with a connection to a dodgy disposer of iffy horse flesh.

I don't eat sausages for the reasons given.

Oh - and I'm sure I recognise the inside of the railway arches in that sketch... which came under Mile End Old Town, although colloquially I would call it Bethnal Green, although, although to a weekly illustrator unfamiliar with such geographical peculiarities could count as Whitechapel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
        Enough spare for an enterprising business woman with a connection to a dodgy disposer of iffy horse flesh.

I don't eat sausages for the reasons given.

Oh - and I'm sure I recognise the inside of the railway arches in that sketch.
        You could be right about the railway arch. So we're probably looking at Coventry Street?

Comment

• Heavens no - Railway Place

Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
            Heavens no - Railway Place
            Hell no - Coventry Street, where HB had their premises and the Tomkins boys lived.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen Bell View Post
              Looking forward to reading it all Gary. We're gobsmacked so far to think we're related to them yikes my mother is such a gentle lady so we thought her family would've been really nice. Now I hope to find the truth ha ha x
              FYI, Helen, a lovely lady living in the NE of England, is the great-granddaughter of Henry Tomkins's brother, Thomas.

Makes you realise how close we are in time to the events we are so fascinated by.

Comment

• Huge thanks to Rick Cobb for posting a link to a Spitalfields Life piece about Philip Cunningham's photos of Winthrop Street and Woods Buildings.

There is a long view (e to w) of Winthrop Street, and having counted the number of terraced houses on the right (north) side I suspect the buildings in the left foreground may be part of HB's yard.

I need someone with a bit of detachment to confirm or deny this as I've come over all unnecessary.

Comment

• Heres the Goad for Winthrop Street.

On the north side the 8-13th terraced houses after the stores are opposite HB's yard. Looking at Philip Cunningham's photo houses 9, 10 and 11 are visible, so the buildings opposite are...surely?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	557679

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2017/02/...f-whitechapel/

Comment

• Another IPN illustration of the Winthrop Street slaughtermen;

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	557876

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                      Heres the Goad for Winthrop Street.

On the north side the 8-13th terraced houses after the stores are opposite HB's yard. Looking at Philip Cunningham's photo houses 9, 10 and 11 are visible, so the buildings opposite are...surely?

[ATTACH]17274[/ATTACH]

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2017/02/...f-whitechapel/

This is the photo in question. Surely the buildings on the left are part of HB's premises?

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	557877

Comment

• Time on their hands?

When he was asked how many horses he and his colleagues had killed on the night Polly Nichols was killed, James Mumford answered 'I can't tell - three or four perhaps.'

According to the All Year Round report, the superstar knacker 'Potler' could singlehandedly kill and strip a horse in twenty five minutes. Although Tomkins, Mumford and Britton may not have been as accomplished as Potler, they must surely between them have been able to handle 3/4 horses comfortably within their 7/8 hour shift, even allowing for an hour at the pub - with time to spare.

Does anyone believe Mumford's statement that his colleagues went to the pub each night ten minutes before it closed?

Comment

This is the photo in question. Surely the buildings on the left are part of HB's premises?

[ATTACH]17542[/ATTACH]
                          Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting the pic of Winthrop Street, which I hadn't seen before.

I imagine the entrance on the left is indeed the yard of Harrison/Barber.

My regards,

Sean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                            Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting the pic of Winthrop Street, which I hadn't seen before.

I imagine the entrance on the left is indeed the yard of Harrison/Barber.

My regards,

Sean.
                            Hi Sean,

Thanks for the confirmation. You've been quiet recently. Busy writing your book I hope.

Gary

Comment

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the confirmation. You've been quiet recently. Busy writing your book I hope.

Gary
                              Hi Gary,

I have been busy researching and writing, as well as dealing with work commitments. It's difficult establishing a cut off point, as new information keeps on cropping up. It all takes time and patience.

That said, the research has been rewarding in uncovering new bits of information, e.g. photos, bio. details etc.

I hope you're well.

Keep up the good work!

My regards,

sean.

Comment

• The Wit and Wisdom of Jack Atcheler

The more I read about Jack Atcheler, the more I feel he may have been singlehandedly responsible for the perception of knackers and cat's meat men as figures of fun.

He presented himself to authority (more often than not at the Clerkenwell Sessions House) as a buffoonish figure with a misplaced sense of self-importance, and the press and the Clerkenwell bench lapped it up. They sniggered. He got richer and richer.

I suspect in reality he was a hard-headed business man who blagged his way out of countless sticky situations by putting on a Mr Bumble act.

Here he is at his Dickensian best:

Mr Atcheler, of Sharp's-alley, was called, and having mounted the witness-box, and folded his arms in a very melodramatic form, bowed to the bench.

Mr Gurney: I believe, sir, you are the proprietor of a knacker's-yard?

Witness: Oh, dear, no. I am the slaughterer of animals to the Queen's most excellent Majesty (laughter). Indeed, I am what might with greater propriety be termed "Purvidor extraordinary of provisions for the use of the Queen's canine race" (increased laughter).

Mr. P. Laurie: Do you hold a warrant for that important office?

Witness: Warrant! Certainly not. I have held the office for upwards of 30 years, and always gave the greatest satisfaction to her Majesty (convulsions of laughter). I mean to say that there is not the least necessity for a warrant.

Recorder: You have been joking long enough; just tell us what became of the horse at last.

Witness: I had it killed and cooked.

Recorder: You don't mean to say that you sold the flesh of this glandered horse for the use of the Queen's canine race!

Witness: I should say, certainly not. I cut it up and disposed of it in small instalments (increased laughter, in which the bench joined).

Extract from Bells Weekly Messenger, 28th October, 1844.

Comment

Working...
                                X