This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    Sorry Gary, haven't found the other two baptisms or even the marriage.
    I have both John and Mary Jane on the GRO index.

Comment

• I searched FMP Lancashire baptisms but no luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Sorry Gary, haven't found the other two baptisms or even the marriage.
        This looks like the marriage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	58BEC9AF-0DD7-456D-9CBA-5BF7EFFF27D8.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	560595

Comment

• Excellent!

Comment

• What would be nice would be to find the family in 1861, possibly somewhere in Greater London or the Home Counties.

Comment

• There’s an interesting article about Jack Atcheler in this edition of the Highgate Cemetery Newsletter.

https://highgatecemetery.org/uploads...al.pdf_web.pdf

I’m intrigued by the mention of one of Atcheler’s trade cards being auctioned in the US. Presumably it has sold by now. I’d love to get my hands on one of those.

Ditto the print of Atcheler driving his favourite horse, Joe. I have seen a couple of those for sale, one at £320 and the other at £1,200. That image was copied by other knackers in their advertising.

In the history of horse slaughtering, Jack is the ‘most man in the world’.

Comment

• Gary....the remark, 'the most man in the world' was used to describe Nathan Bedford Forrest....and he was a helluva horseman. Had 30 shot out from under him in our Civil War.
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

Gary....the remark, 'the most man in the world' was used to describe Nathan Bedford Forrest....and he was a helluva horseman. Had 30 shot out from under him in our Civil War.
                  Thanks, How.

I first heard the phrase used by Shelby Foote in Ken Burns’ Civil War documentary and it appealed to me. Burns’ Country Music series is being shown on the BBC at the moment. I watched the first episode last night.

Comment

• How,

Doubtless there’s a whole fascinating universe to be explored concerning the knackers of the Confederate and Union armies. Dead horses had to be cleared from the battlefields by someone. They were a valuable resource which could turn into a health hazard if left for too long.

Gary

Comment

• "Origins of Scrapple in the Civil War Period" by Obadiah Brown?

Comment

• Dave:

You may be right, boss.

Gary;

Over 1,000,000 horses died in that fratricidal disaster. In the first year or so of the War, more horses were whacked than soldiers. At Gettysburg, 1500 horses and mules were killed.
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact [email protected]

Comment

• Hello, I am a new member. I came across the Forum and when I read the information about
                          Tomkins and the Knackers Yard, I was intrigued. My late husband, William Tomkins was employed in the family's Knackers Yard in Swansea, South Wales. He followed in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather, all named William Tomkins. It's quite probable there's a family link, I believe the family moved to South Wales from England many years ago and knackering is not exactly an ordinary occupation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tina Tomkins View Post
                            Hello, I am a new member. I came across the Forum and when I read the information about
                            Tomkins and the Knackers Yard, I was intrigued. My late husband, William Tomkins was employed in the family's Knackers Yard in Swansea, South Wales. He followed in the footsteps of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather, all named William Tomkins. It's quite probable there's a family link, I believe the family moved to South Wales from England many years ago and knackering is not exactly an ordinary occupation.
                            Hi Tina,

Would that be the family who had a yard in Neath Road, Llansamlet?

Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                              Hi Tina,

Would that be the family who had a yard in Neath Road, Llansamlet?

Gary
                              Hi Gary, Yes, that is correct. Tina

Comment

• Unlike Gen'l Nathan Bedford Forrest I didn't git thar fustest with the mostest, and I only just noticed Gary's Hart reference showing their continued criminality.

Comment

Working...
                                X