No announcement yet.

Who was Polly Swallow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it looks like Mary Hannah was too old too. She was born in 1845 in Nunburnholme, like the majority of this family.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      Yes, it looks like Mary Hannah was too old too. She was born in 1845 in Nunburnholme, like the majority of this family.
      In 1871, she was a housemaid to the widow of Rear Admiral Morris at 25, The Promenade, Bridlington. (I think).

Comment

How do you pronounce that place name? I bet it's Nubram or something else designed to make an unwary southerner look stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          How do you pronounce that place name? I bet it's Nubram or something else designed to make an unwary southerner look stupid.
          I've no idea to be honest, Gary! Although the ending 'holme' is usually pronounced 'hm' where I come from.

Comment

I've no idea to be honest, Gary! Although the ending 'holme' is usually pronounced 'hm' where I come from.
            I know Hubberholme is 'Hubram' (or 'Ubram, if you're proper Yorkshire).

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              I know Hubberholme is 'Hubram' (or 'Ubram, if you're proper Yorkshire).
              I'm proper Yorkshire. I think I might even be in the doghouse for all this Yorkshire talk

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                Maybe it's just me but I think she looks rather Irish.
                Could she be Scottish? Looking at the other pics there's not that many plaid shawls to be seen.

Comment

Hi Phillip

I did the free search on Scotland's People and there were no exact matches. 'Mary Swallow' got some mentions.

Comment

Harry Corbett tells how even Shakespeare took a back seat once he'd read Galton and Simpson's sublime Sooty and Sweep scripts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfFDraxJBac

Comment

Working...
                    X