Broad Street Goods Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad Street Goods Station

Am I right in thinking that these two photos show the same row of arches from approximately the same angle?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	564445

I may be wrong, but the architecture of the arches and of the side of Liverpool Street Station facing them look remarkably similar.

Comment

I've spotted Flanagan and Allen in both, so probably the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        I've spotted Flanagan and Allen in both, so probably the same.
        Begorrah!

Comment

Approx 13 arches in both photos?

Where's Ed when you need him?

Comment

Here it is from the other direction, showing the entrance in Liverpool Street (the street, not the station).

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	558109

Comment

This is what it looks like today. There was obviously a certain amount of rebuilding/glazing when LS station underwent its last refurb.

Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	558110

Comment

The arches seen from the other side of the station. You can just make out the wall running along Sun Street Passage and the Liverpool Street Station Windows. Broad Street passenger station sat on top of the arches. The open area in the foreground was the site of the goods station and yard.

Pickfords were said to keep their horses 'under' Broad Street station. These arches match that description, so they were presumably Charles Lechmere's workplace.

Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	558111

Comment

Hello Gary,
                  Those are indeed the same arches, but they are definitely not where horses were kept. Those arches were unloading goods from trains.
                  Thanks for your time,
                  dusty miller

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
                    Hello Gary,
                    Those are indeed the same arches, but they are definitely not where horses were kept. Those arches were unloading goods from trains.
                    Thanks, Dusty. I was at Liverpool Street last week and thought the Sun Street Passage wall looked similar to that in the black and white photo.

Do you think the carts went in or out through the Liverpool Street entrance (or both)?

Comment

Hello Gary,

The incoming and outgoing carts went via the Eldon st entrance.
                      In the photo (1980's) you still see the checking station were drivers had to show their delivery notes.
                      Attached Files
                      Thanks for your time,
                      dusty miller

Comment

The main stables were situated Eldon/Appold, but there was also a smaller stable off Sun St. Exactly where I've yet to determine.

The photo shows one possible site for them, although they could have been on the other side of Sun St.
                        Attached Files
                        Thanks for your time,
                        dusty miller

Comment

If you are talking about entrances generally to Broad St that Xmere could have entered from to go to work, I've identified 7 so far and another couple I'm yet to verify.
                          Thanks for your time,
                          dusty miller

Comment

Hi Dusty,

Thanks for all of this. I came across a photo of a laden motor lorry entering by the Liverpool Street entrance. Presumably goods also went out from Broad Street.

I also found a reference to a Wolverhampton horse-slaughterer sending meat to London by the LNWR. No mention of which station, probably Euston, but Broad Street has to be a possibility.

Gary

Comment

According to the 1916 OS 25 inch map Broad Street goods depot would have been behind the photographer in post # 8. There was also a smaller depot near the throat of the station in Apollo Street. It would be logical to place the stables as close as possible to the depot and on the same map there are smaller buildings that could be stables. However the railway companies would only have built stables for their own use and often had to rent extra stabling in London. The viaduct of the North London Line into Broad Street streched a considerable way northwards so its possible that these were used as stables.

Comment

Working...
                              X