No announcement yet.

Broad Street Goods Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>Am I correct in saying though that we can't definately tie down CL to a spot. Eg 'he would have gone through this entrance...?'<<

You are.
    Thanks for your time,
    dusty miller

Comment

Here's Maggie actaully destroying Broad St, Station!
      Attached Files
      Thanks for your time,
      dusty miller

Comment

>>Over on casebook you also refer to the stables in Primrose street which were mentioned by someone on a Broad Street website.<<

From further investigationsince then, it's possible that was a private stables, I've found adverts offering stables in or next to the Fox and Grapes pub 18 Primrose. So, that's a bit up in the air at the moment.
        Thanks for your time,
        dusty miller

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
          I've never noticed a mention of "horse meat" at Broad St, but then I wasn't looking either.
          Dids H&B import much pre slaughtered meat? I'm guessing they might I've done a deal with Broad St to dispose of unwanted horses given the sheer volume of horses at the station.
          Hi Dusty,

No, as far as I'm aware the meat imported from the provinces was already butchered and boiled. They did have a contract with Pickfords to take all their cast-off horses, though.

As I'm sure you know, one of CAL's sons ( Thomas? Charles?) described himself as a a meat carter/salesman and lived for a time in Winthrop Street.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
            Here's Maggie actaully destroying Broad St, Station!
            Where's Charles Lechmere when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Where's Charles Lechmere when you need him?
              I know where he'd have been if CH had had his way

Regards
              Michael
              Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Finally a reason for wanting CL to be the ripper!
                Thanks for your time,
                dusty miller

Comment

From The Morning Post of April 19th, 1899

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	558159

Just skulls? I wonder what happened to the arms, legs and torsos?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                    From The Morning Post of April 19th, 1899

[ATTACH]17891[/ATTACH]

Just skulls? I wonder what happened to the arms, legs and torsos?
                    It turned out the body was a Peruvian mummy en-route to a museum in Belgium.

But in the interim the press made the best of the story describing the discovery of the nude body of a young woman as 'murder, no doubt'.

Comment

It is not quite true, by the way, to say that the traffic in eatables is only into London. Broad-street dispatches every day to Lancashire three or four truckloads of what is known as "offal" - the heads and feet, the hearts and livers of the animals that are slaughtered at the Deptford Cattle Market. But this may perhaps be considered to be balanced by the fact that there is a large "inwards" traffic in cat's meat from Scotland. Why horses should die more freely in Scotland, or cats be more hungry in London, or why Lancashire should have a special penchant for tripe and trotters is sociological puzzle for which the Broad-street authorities have made no attempt to find a solution.

Extract from an Article by W. M. Ackworth originally in Murrays Magazine, but reprinted in the Gloucestershire Chronicle of 18th February, 1888.

Comment

or why Lancashire should have a special penchant for tripe and trotters is sociological puzzle for which the Broad-street authorities have made no attempt to find a solution.

It all went into Betty Turpin's Lancashire hotpot.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                          or why Lancashire should have a special penchant for tripe and trotters is sociological puzzle for which the Broad-street authorities have made no attempt to find a solution.

It all went into Betty Turpin's Lancashire hotpot.
                          Yes, that bit was no great sociological conundrum to me.

Over on the Cross thread (?) there is a press report that speaks of Pickfords' vans loaded with cats's meat being 'near Liverpool Street station'. Broad Street station was next door to Liverpool Street station.

Comment

More evidence of horse meat at Broad Street, from The Daily News of 4th July, 1876:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	558377

Comment

So, Team Lechmere are spoiled for choice, meatwise, at Broad Street: prime Scotch beef from the Express, semi-putrid cat's meat, also from Scotland, and Deptford offal.

Given the Lechmere family's subsequent involvement in the horse flesh trade, my guess would be that it's more likely that that was what CAL carried on his cart.

Comment

Working...
                              X