London trip 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London trip 1903

Some photos from a photoalbum in the Copenhagen City Archives, 1903.

The Travel Scholarship Association for Craftsmen and Industrialists.

A trip to London and I couldn't resist posting the last photo of happy frolics at some seaside resort, probably Brighton.

I think the photo of the Victoria Home is 39-41 Commercial Street, built 1887?
    Attached Files

Great photos and thanks, Kattrup !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Great photo of the Victoria Home, Kattrup!

I think you are right that the seaside photo may well be Brighton. The photo with the Telegraph Branch Office is Brighton and I think the other street scene might also be.

Comment

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them.

Comment

I wonder if the group outside the Victoria Home were the tourists from Copenhagen. They look a v. respectable bunch, which may give an indication of how respectable the Home itself was.

So a man such as Hutch who lived there might not have lead so chaotic a lifestyle that he didn’t know what day of the week it was - as has been suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina Brown View Post
            Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing them.
            Hi Nina,

How cute is that little dog cart?

Gary

Comment

I wonder if the group outside the Victoria Home were the tourists from Copenhagen. They look a v. respectable bunch, which may give an indication of how respectable the Home itself was.
              -Gary-

Not a bad thought, Gary...
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                Hi Nina,

How cute is that little dog cart?

Gary
                Isn't that a goat cart? The goat has his head back? It gave me the idea to get a cart and train one of my goats.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Gary,

I think it's the cutest thing.

Comment

Thank you, Kattrup. I especially enjoy the Victoria Home. Temperance apparently is a big deal in that establishment and I wonder if that is why they had a firm closing time, i.e. Hutchinson walking the streets all night because his lodgings had already closed? By closing somewhat early perhaps they discouraged drunken guests?
                    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                      Isn't that a goat cart? The goat has his head back? It gave me the idea to get a cart and train one of my goats.
                      You could be right, Anna. But I think those small carts were called ‘dog carts’?

Comment

I wonder how long their watch chains lasted?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A9167ED3-0A99-42DC-A4DB-0BACF9B1B92E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	559129

I was hoping to hear that they’d at least had their pockets picked.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone, and thanks Gary for the clipping. I wouldn’t have thought the visit would have been worth writing about for the locals.

Hopefully there are more albums out there, as we know the murder sites were in fact visited by tourists in the following years we might locate a few photos still.

Comment

https://simanaitissays.com/2013/07/15/holmes-wheels/

Comment

Working...
                              X